Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked New Ram installed but Windows 10 boot still slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Hello All,

I need some confirmations and solutions.
I have Core i5-7400 3.0Ghz with 8GB DDR4 Ram. I was using the same for 2-3 years and I could play almost all the games.

Since last few months I wanted to make it 16GB. SO today I finally got Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 3000 MHz. (CMK8GX4M1D3000C16)

Now using the CPU-Z application I get to see this -

Type- DDR4
Size - 16Gb
Channel - Single
NB Frequency - it keeps moving from 700 to 3000 MHz.
DRAM Frequency - 1066.7Mhz

So all I wanted to know that is everything fine as per the statistics? I have not played any game yet.
Moreover, both my Rams are Corsair Vengeance but may be different model.
So any other check I need to make?

Lastly, if everything is fine then why the windows 10 boot time is not decreased with 16GB Ram? The logo keeps going round and round as usual. Thanks in advance.

vdogeek

šŸ¤“ Super Admin
Uploader
Downloaded
93.5 GB
Uploaded
56.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1199 (1205)
Member for 9 years
Moved to H & R... Good luck!

Cyler

šŸ¤“ Super Admin
āš”OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Sadly you are not ok cause your ram is running in single-channel mode while it should be at dual. Dual-channel will increase the transfer rate from and to CPU and other peripherals. But there is an easy fix so no worries.

I assume your motherboard (mobo for short) has 4 slots. We will call them A1, A2, B1, and B2. In general, the 2 sticks should NOT be in the same letter. Slot A is one channel and slot B is the other channel. If you put the sticks on the same channel they will run a single channel mode. So either slot in A1 and B1 or A2 and B2. For which is which, check your mobo manual.

After you do the adjustments, see if that fixes your problem and let us know.

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Sadly you are not ok cause your ram is running in single-channel mode while it should be at dual. Dual-channel will increase the transfer rate from and to CPU and other peripherals. But there is an easy fix so no worries.

I assume your motherboard (mobo for short) has 4 slots. We will call them A1, A2, B1, and B2. In general, the 2 sticks should NOT be in the same letter. Slot A is one channel and slot B is the other channel. If you put the sticks on the same slot they will run a single channel mode. So either slot in A1 and B1 or A2 and B2. For which is which, check your mobo manual.

I think I got your point. You are right that my motherboard has 4 slots and I have installed the second ram just adjacent to the older one. I will install it in the 3rd slot and then will get back to you. Hope that will be fine!

liviu2007

Downloaded
134.1 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
make sure you are running in uefi mode bios and not legacy mode

basically windows needs to be installed on uefi mode not legacy mode!
legacy mode is for older systems and takes longer to boot!

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
I think I got your point. You are right that my motherboard has 4 slots and I have installed the second ram just adjacent to the older one. I will install it in the 3rd slot and then will get back to you. Hope that will be fine!

That worked for me.
It is showing DUAL now but still suffering from slow boot.

I am afraid I need to check this.

Oh God, I just checked in System Information and was shocked to see BIOS Mode that it showed LEGACY. :cry::cry::cry:

liviu2007

Downloaded
134.1 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Oh God, I just checked in System Information and was shocked to see BIOS Mode that it showed LEGACY. :cry::cry::cry:
do not panic! just set your bios -boot mode to uefi(also set secure boot off) and do a fresh install of win10! and you are gonna boot in less than 15 seconds!

Loveena

āœ… Verified Member
Downloaded
12.6 GB
Uploaded
8.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years

I assume your motherboard (mobo for short) has 4 slots. We will call them A1, A2, B1, and B2. In general, the 2 sticks should NOT be in the same letter. Slot A is one channel and slot B is the other channel. If you put the sticks on the same channel they will run a single channel mode. So either slot in A1 and B1 or A2 and B2. For which is which, check your mobo manual.

@Cyler, what are you ?a walking wiki ????

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
do not panic! just set your bios -boot mode to uefi(also set secure boot off) and do a fresh install of win10! and you are gonna boot in less than 15 seconds!
Okay will try some day as cannot be done now.

liviu2007

Downloaded
134.1 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Okay will try some day as cannot be done now.
when you have time you can do it! also running dual channel ram helps system allot!
dual channel+uefi os=problem fixed! goodluck!

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years

I just have two similar queries.

1. My older ram is 2400Mhz and new one is 3000MHz, will that create any problem?

2. As of now my Rams are installed in 1st and 3rd slot, so in future if I will install another 8 GB then which slot should i choose? Will there be again a problem of single or dual channel type?

mkrleza

Si non confectus, non reficiat
Uploader
āœ… Verified Member
Downloaded
655.8 GB
Uploaded
65.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (7)
Member for 7 years
I just have two similar queries.

1. My older ram is 2400Mhz and new one is 3000MHz, will that create any problem?

2. As of now my Rams are installed in 1st and 3rd slot, so in future if I will install another 8 GB then which slot should i choose? Will there be again a problem of single or dual channel type?
Your faster Ram will work at the speed of the slower one.
If you populate all four slots - you have no Channel worries.

Cyler

šŸ¤“ Super Admin
āš”OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Ok, some facts just to get things clear.

UEFI vs Legacy boot time and disk speed. If (and that's a big if) there is a difference at best it's negligible and has nothing to do with the RAM. Boot is a multistage process. UEFI boot is a bit faster with POST and device detection but not with the speed from disk booting, and certainly not with RAM. So switching Legacy to UEFI and vice versa offers no advantage and just adds risk. The main difference between UEFI vs Legacy has to do with security and not so much with speed.

Having more RAM doesn't speed the boot or even the apps. The only case that more RAM speeds things up, is if a game/app is getting close to using 8 Gb of ram and by adding more RAM, you avoid using disk swap and so slowing down your system. If your ram requirements don't exceed the amount of physical RAM, you won't notice any significant (if at all) speed increase in your system.

For that reason, there is no point going to 24 or 32 Gb unless you plan to use such amounts of RAM. Cases that use that much RAM are:
* Running multiple and concurrent heavy-duty applications like editing very large multiple images in photoshop while rendering in After effects etc.
* Running games at 4k while having apps running in the background
* Multiple Virtual machines etc.

As for the placement, you can add 1 stick but the memory will switch to single-channel mode. To keep the dual-channel you need to add 2
Speed as @mkrleza said above will sync to the lowest RAM chip (same for timings).

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Oh wow, thanks so much Cyler and mkrleza

LauRoman

Downloaded
6.5 GB
Uploaded
168.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
since your cpu is rather newish. I would definitely suggest checking your hard drives, and ssds for errors or other health issues. Use software like HD Tune (slow scan), Victoria, Spinrite and Hdd Sentinel. If any of your ssds is below 90% health i would suggest removing or replacing it. Hdds with that low of health will also have some realocated sectors. Think about replacing them too.

Last week i removed a 10years old hdd that served me well and had a few bad sectors. Even if it had no boot files on it, removing it improved my boot time about 20x.

Not true. All of my systems boot in legacy mode except two, that have nvme boot drives. And there is no real difference between them.

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
since your cpu is rather newish. I would definitely suggest checking your hard drives, and ssds for errors or other health issues. Use software like HD Tune (slow scan), Victoria, Spinrite and Hdd Sentinel. If any of your ssds is below 90% health i would suggest removing or replacing it. Hdds with that low of health will also have some realocated sectors. Think about replacing them too.

Last week i removed a 10years old hdd that served me well and had a few bad sectors. Even if it had no boot files on it, removing it improved my boot time about 20x.

Not true. All of my systems boot in legacy mode except two, that have nvme boot drives. And there is no real difference between them.

Thanks for your help.
My HDD is as old as my CPU, processor, Graphic card, motherboard etc but I will still use one of those tools to check the health of HD.

jaggyloving

Downloaded
11.3 GB
Uploaded
71.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Oh WOW, guess what?

I installed HD Sentinel and came to know that both health and performance shows 100%.

:blush::blush::blush:

Don007

Power User
Downloaded
121.9 GB
Uploaded
2.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
6 (8)
Member for 5 years
If it is not to do with hardware thing then it is definitely a "Window-y Thing"

1. Make sure to uncheck the time required for checking other operating systems or set it to 0
2. Remove some of the unnecessary startup items from automatically being started - TaskManager > Startup
3. Also look for services which you need not want at startup - Run > msconfig > services > Hide all MS Services
4. Run a "sfc /scannow" or "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" - CMD as Admin
5. It's not recommended but if you want u can clear the bcd and rebuild the bcd ! (Needs a Installation medium - Shift+F10 > bootrec /fixboot)

liviu2007

Downloaded
134.1 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years

it all depends bro! i know from experience that legacy takes longer to boot! something else can create a problem! most of the time win10 runs best on uefi and not legacy!

liroy

Downloaded
227.3 GB
Uploaded
1.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
sut et ta ram dessus ta une etiquettte avec les parametre a metre dans ton bios et parametre ta ram en manuel

Mod edit: Know and your ram on it has a label with the parameters to put in your bios and configure your ram in manual

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.