Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Question on a new build

Thibor69

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
624.8 GB
Uploaded
2.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
I am not sure if this is the correct forum or the Help forum .. Hope this is ok.

I am building a new PC. I have done this many times in the past 35 years, but I am a little behind on the current best HW Technology price/performance ratio. I have $2,000 USA to spend. I am a Gamer, but NOT hard core. I play a few times a week and mostly older RPG's. But I do love my games :) I do a bit of coding and Media editing ( nothing major ). I know AMD is cheaper than Intel, but I really am an Intel guy.

Please take a look at this build and comment on any problems or issues or changes I should make. Thank you for your time :)

• MOTHER BOARD - [$200 ] - ASUS ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming LGA 1700 ATX
  • CASE - [ $200 ] - CORSAIR iCUE 4000D RGB Mid-Tower
  • CPU - [ $380 ] - INTEL CORE i7-14700K 5.6 GHz 20 Core's
  • GPU - [ $590 ] - ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 OC Edition 12GB GDDR6X
  • M..2 - [ $160 ] - SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2
  • MEM -[ $135 ] - CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 RAM 32GB 6000MHz iCUE
THiBOR69

UPDATE: I made 2 changes based on feedback here.
  • GPU - [ $609 ] - ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 Super OC Edition PCIe 4.0, 12GB GDDR6X
  • MEM - [ $144 ] - CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 RAM 32GB 7000MHz CL40 Intel XMP iCUE

Last edited:

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
305.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years
Please build this asap and send to me for testing, although I really don't see anything to change. GOOD LUCK

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
Some thoughts.

Wait to get the 4070 Super, since it will be the same or around the price of 4070 but you will get a 15-20% better performance. Even if you don't want the 4070S the 4070 price will drop anytime soon so get the one you aim for slightly cheaper.

Go for 7800 MHz DDR5 or if not, something higher than 6000 assuming there are no issues with the price. IF 2 rams have the same timings, 7800 Mhz is about 7% higher performance than 6000 Mhz in apps/games that do a lot of RAM transfers. Remember that RAM speed is also affected by size as you will stress the controller for example if you plan to go to 64 or 96 GB later on. Note its, 's not a great deal but since you buy a new PC... might as well get more out of it.

I would suggest a 1 or 2 TB NVME system/game drive and a 2 TB SSD/Sata storage drive. You will be better protected and can use them concurrently in some tasks for greater speed. For example process video on the data while running programs from the NVME. Not every app needs speed.

If you want to keep the same price, buy 1 TB NVME for now as your mobo has 4 NVMe slots and you can add/upgrade at any time in the future.

Other than that PC looks good. Please remember that those things change from country to country so... double check.

Last edited:

Thibor69

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
624.8 GB
Uploaded
2.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Some thoughts.

Wait to get the 4070 Super, since it will be the same or around the price of 4070 but you will get a 15-20% better performance. Even if you don't want the 4070S the 4070 price will drop anytime soon so get the one you aim for slightly cheaper.

Go for 7800 MHz DDR5 or if not, something higher than 6000 assuming there are no issues with the price. IF 2 rams have the same timings, 7800 Mhz is about 7% higher performance than 6000 Mhz in apps/games that do a lot of RAM transfers. Remember that RAM speed is also affected by size as you will stress the controller for example if you plan to go to 64 or 96 GB later on. Note its, 's not a great deal but since you buy a new PC... might as well get more out of it.

I would suggest a 1 or 2 TB NVME system/game drive and a 2 TB SSD/Sata storage drive. You will be better protected and can use them concurrently in some tasks for greater speed. For example process video on the data while running programs from the NVME. Not every app needs speed.

If you want to keep the same price, buy 1 TB NVME for now as your mobo has 4 NVMe slots and you can add/upgrade at any time in the future.

Other than that PC looks good. Please remember that those things change from country to country so... double check.

@Cyler wow, thank you so much for the reply and suggestions. You bring up some good points and that is exactly what I was hoping for. I will take that all into consideration before I make the purchase.

Thanks again - Thibor69

PS. @Uncle Mac you are funny guy, lol ;)

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
52.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
254 (262)
Member for 7 years
@Thibor69 if you wanna save a little you can go with a 30 graphics or a radeon graphics 40's are not impressive for the price and how bulky they are! lol

Last edited:

ABU0AMR

Downloaded
4.1 GB
Uploaded
24.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 1 years
I have one like this amazing build

Thibor69

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
624.8 GB
Uploaded
2.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
@Cyler Can I ask you which would you choose ?

CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 7200MHz CL34 - $209​

or

CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 7000MHz CL40 - $144​

is the small bump of 200MHz worth the extra $60 ?? I am not sure what the CL34 / CL40 means....

Thanks again to you and all !!

PS. I have now switched to the new Geforce RTX 4070 Super almost same price. :)

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
52.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
254 (262)
Member for 7 years
@Cyler Can I ask you which would you choose ?

CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 7200MHz CL34 - $209​

or

CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 7000MHz CL40 - $144​

is the small bump of 200MHz worth the extra $60 ?? I am not sure what the CL34 / CL40 means....

Thanks again to you and all !!

PS. I have now switched to the new Geforce RTX 4070 Super almost same price. :)
the lower the cl the better!

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
I will try to explain but also keep it simple. Ram chips have 2 speeds.
1. How fast they transfer from and to the CPU and this is the MHz. If the RAM is too slow, the CPU will wait for the things to come which results in slower processing speeds.
2. The response time which is the CL. This is how quickly they start transferring ONCE they are asked,

Both are important but not for EVERY application. Some apps and games are more sensitive to MHz, some are to CL some on both, and some at none.
For example, the apps that ask once every 10 seconds to transfer 10 GB of data to/from RAM will want MHz and won't care for CL, the apps that ask for 100 MB but will ask 100 times in 10 seconds will be more sensitive to CL and not MHz.
The numbers I used are just to do the math easily, the actual scenario is 100X to 10000X more intense inside a computer.

If money is not an issue, get the 7200/CL34 but for the CL timing rather than the extra 200 MHz. Both are fine, to be honest and much better than the basic 5600 Mhz and CL 48.

Note there are several videos on YouTube showing how CL/MHz can affect an intel CPU in various games/apps, check and see for yourself
Hope it helped.

Last edited:

Thibor69

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
624.8 GB
Uploaded
2.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
@Cyler Thank you so much. I do understand more now than I did 30 minutes ago, :) I do love to learn new things. I think I am almost ready to place my order ( next 1 or 2 days ) but I have just run into 1 little issue. I am not sure you or anyone can help, but the sites online are saying there is a compatibility issue with the CPU and the MB. I have looked into it somewhat, and I think they are saying this MB will work as long as it has the correct BIOS version. I think I need bios 12.05, but not sure what version is on the board at purchase time. Again I think I read the MB has bios 08.02 but can be updated. I wonder though how to update a bios without having windows installed, or maybe this board lets me update the bios from the pre-post area/utility....

If you have any thoughts for me, take your time, but let me know. Again, these are the 2 items in question.

outside links removed
You all are the best :rock:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
@Cyler Thank you so much. I do understand more now than I did 30 minutes ago, :) I do love to learn new things. I think I am almost ready to place my order ( next 1 or 2 days ) but I have just run into 1 little issue. I am not sure you or anyone can help, but the sites online are saying there is a compatibility issue with the CPU and the MB. I have looked into it somewhat, and I think they are saying this MB will work as long as it has the correct BIOS version. I think I need bios 12.05, but not sure what version is on the board at purchase time. Again I think I read the MB has bios 08.02 but can be updated. I wonder though how to update a bios without having windows installed, or maybe this board lets me update the bios from the pre-post area/utility....

If you have any thoughts for me, take your time, but let me know. Again, these are the 2 items in question.

• ASUS ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard - 16 + 1 Power Stages, DDR5, 4x M.2 Slots, PCIe 5.0, WiFi 6E, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C with PD 3.0, Aura Sync RGB
  • Intel® Core™ i7-14700K New Gaming Desktop Processor 20 cores (8 P-cores + 12 E-cores) with Integrated Graphics - Unlocked

You all are the best :rock:
It's a gamble at this point as you don't know for how long they have that Mobo in their stock and so you can't know the bios revision... but good news.

Z790 doesn't need a CPU or even RAM slotted to do a bios upgrade due to bios flashback...
GUrkmGV.png

so download on a fat32 USB the bios beforehand, and if the PC won't post, just follow the steps above.

Thibor69

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
624.8 GB
Uploaded
2.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
It's a gamble at this point as you don't know for how long they have that Mobo in their stock and so you can't know the bios revision... but good news.

Z790 doesn't need a CPU or even RAM slotted to do a bios upgrade due to bios flashback...
GUrkmGV.png

so download on a fat32 USB the bios beforehand, and if the PC won't post, just follow the steps above.

Oh wow I missed that bit. Thank you for pointing it out. I will do that. Sorry about the links I posted, I forgot about that .. my bad.

I do believe I have all the answers that I needed, so if MOD's would like to close the thread, go ahead.

Peace to all :rock:

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
52.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
254 (262)
Member for 7 years
Oh wow I missed that bit. Thank you for pointing it out. I will do that. Sorry about the links I posted, I forgot about that .. my bad.

I do believe I have all the answers that I needed, so if MOD's would like to close the thread, go ahead.

Peace to all :rock:
it's all good I got them and gave you a break since @Uncle Mac it's testing the build! ha ha ha ha

Toxined

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
20 GB
Uploaded
101.5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Happy to read this and I've learn something new too... Thank you @Cyler for sharing your precious knowledge without being greedy at all... :inlove:

Congratulations and have fun with your awesome new build.... :rock:

Last edited:

Trianchid

Downloaded
0 bytes
Uploaded
5.1 GB
Ratio
-
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
it's late but I can comment on M2 for now , the 980 pro great choice at that price (180-210 usd here ) , I only got KC3000 bit cheaper by 1500 ft or 4,5 usd. 2 TB also great as system drive for space engineers or singleplayer Minecraft saves as they can take up increasingly more space in %appdata%

It has HBM at 64 mb , compared to 2 GB Dram it's only disadvantage if drive is close to full but even then is it's slight or marginal (as I heard it's only used as mapping)

Also battle mage GPU announcement post poned until 2025... Pretty sad

pleiadians

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
188.8 GB
Uploaded
713.5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
I would suggest that at that value you look at an APC LIne-R for protection, great value and longer lasting and a lot less hassle than a UPS with great protection.

Thibor69

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
624.8 GB
Uploaded
2.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
One last quick question .... could someone tell me the difference between these 2 ??
  1. Samsung 990 PRO M.2 2000 GB PCI Express 4.0 V-NAND MLC NVMe [ $229 ]​

2. Samsung 990 PRO Series - 2TB PCIe Gen4. X4 NVMe 2.0c - M.2 [ $184 ]​

Thanks again !!​

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
52.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
254 (262)
Member for 7 years
One last quick question .... could someone tell me the difference between these 2 ??
  1. Samsung 990 PRO M.2 2000 GB PCI Express 4.0 V-NAND MLC NVMe [ $229 ]​

2. Samsung 990 PRO Series - 2TB PCIe Gen4. X4 NVMe 2.0c - M.2 [ $184 ]​

Thanks again !!​

have you look into NVMe 5.0 boards!

Thibor69

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
624.8 GB
Uploaded
2.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
have you look into NVMe 5.0 boards!
No .. I think I will stick with my final setup. I just dont understand the difference of these 2 drives....