Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Picture Recovery after deleting them by accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad.Tepes

Downloaded
184.6 GB
Uploaded
5.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Hello guys, I have a question if you can help me. I have scanned with Disk Drill and EasUS Recovery my recyle bin and my entire D: partition for 6 pictures that I've deleted by accident 2 weeks ago. The strage thing is that I mage to recover pictures from 6 months ago and 3 months and so on, but I cannot mange to find the 6 pictures from 2 weeks ago. Have you ever experienced something like this and may you have some tips to recover them ? Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Toxined

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
20 GB
Uploaded
101.5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Don't post same thing twice sir. It makes stie messy. And you should've edited this post instead posting a new one. :)
@Jimmy Collaros, @Dark Wolf you need to see this. Thank you.

I prefer HETMAN RECOVERY. Did you've tried that? Would you give it a try please.

Link:
Code:
https://www.teamos.xyz/threads/hetman-data-recovery-pack-4-7-multilingual-teamos.201550/

Last edited:

Vlad.Tepes

Downloaded
184.6 GB
Uploaded
5.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Sorry for the double post. Thank you for your suggestion. I'll try that one too.

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
118.2 GB
Uploaded
42.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
@Vlad.Tepes have you tried Recuva Pro.

Quetzalcoatl

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
265.3 GB
Uploaded
504 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
I for one personally prefer EaseUS Data Recovery. This thing has successfully retrieved everything i had deleted accidentally and intentionally to guage its scope of recovery. It has yet to let me down. So, never bothered to look for alternatives.

My suggestion would be to do a scan of the folder where those 6 pics used to be instead of the entire disk and go for deep scan if you can afford the time (though, you should get it by the surface scan itself but you can never be too careless with things you wish to recover)

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Since no one else answered your question (the why) here is the deal:
Successfully recovering deleted files is never straightforward and depends on several factors.
  1. The medium: SSD or HDD
  2. The PC usage we do AFTER the time we erased those files
  3. Other reasons that have to do with how windows (or any OS) handles the file system.
When we delete a file, the file never gets wiped instantly, but rather the OS marks the area that those files occupied as ready to be used again. So if one copies or creates several files after the deletion, there is a good chance that some of those files will overwrite some or all of the files we have erased in the past. Note here that if one uses the OS disk as storage for personal documents, the chances of recovery are even smaller as the OS and the apps we use generate a LOT of temp files that will wipe erased files. In contrast, if we use a separate disk, this will increase the chance of finding deleted files, even older ones.

The above is mostly for HDDs (the spinners) because SSDs make things worse. SSDs because they use memory cells and not magnetic media to store data, they need to wipe those cells before they are able to be rewritten again, otherwise when we erase files the disk will still report the cell as used, since the OS as we said above does NOT free the area (wipe). The process of wiping cells is called TRIM (others call it active garbage collection) and it speeds the SSD disk when it comes to write speeds BUT at the cost that if a TRIM command is issued, erased files are permanently gone. Users have no power over TRIM the OS issues that automatically at set intervals.

Of course, all the above are a bit oversimplified as the real internal works for hard disk and file systems, could cause headaches.

So in your case, it could simply be that the OS for some reason overwrote the area where those 6 pictures were using, while it didn't for the others. This has nothing to do with the time you deleted the files, but rather their size and location on the disk, if the disk Is SSD or HDD etc. Note here that even if you see a successful recovery the files should still be checked manually cause often you may find corruption in them.

That doesn't mean you should stop looking, but the software won't change things by much as every software just uses the same NTFS commands to check for deleted files.
Hope it helped.

Last edited:

Elzer

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
146.2 GB
Uploaded
3.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
33 (32)
Member for 7 years
Since no one else answered your question (how to recover) here is the deal:
***Check your inbox***

Vlad.Tepes

Downloaded
184.6 GB
Uploaded
5.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Thank you to all of you guys for your help and time. I will try all the solutions you've provided, and hopefully I'll manage to recover them. Although it might be that the specific space on the HDD was overwritten.

pascalwil

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
36.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
I will add Active@ UNDELETE to the list of tools. I has given me a chance to recover files after emptying the bin in the past. But you need to recover quickly before files are overwritten as mentioned by @Cyler

And I'd like @Cyler to clarify something.
What you're saying about different drives is also true for other partitions on the same drive, Right?
The OS will not write temp files on a different partition. Right? Only you is in control of a partition that doesn't contain an OS.

Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
And I'd like @Cyler to clarify something.
What you're saying about different drives is also true for other partitions on the same drive, Right?
The OS will not write temp files on a different partition. Right? Only you is in control of a partition that doesn't contain an OS.

Thanks for clarifying.

Sadly it's not true for partitions of the same physical disk. Trim works on an entire disk, not a partition. I will try to avoid being too technical.

Due to the way disks work, they are unaware of partitions. Partitions are purely a software construct and not hardware. The files, folders, and partitions are only for us users, to help us build a hierarchy and structure of our data, that resembles our real-world pages, folders, cabinets, and rooms. SSDs have only pages and blocks. Not head/tracks/sectors. They use special hardware (the controller) to translate on the fly the file/folder/partition and/or head/track/sector and LBA values that the OS and software use, to NAND pages and blocks. The controller is the only thing that knows where the data are actually located on the physical disk and to make things worse, it keeps reshuffling them at any erase/write we do across the entire disk. To a certain extent, this is true for modern HDDs too.

Since the OS is completely unaware of where the files are actually located on the SSD, when a TRIM command is issued, it affects the physical disk and not a specific partition, as data from different partitions may coexist on the same physical page, and the same applies when we write files on the disk, after a deletion, regardless of the partition that we write them.
This is why all recovery professionals always make a "sector" copy of the disk to an image and operate on the said image rather than on the physical medium if the problem allows it.

Hope it helped.

Last edited:

pascalwil

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
36.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Thanks so much @Cyler for your feedback.
It helps a great deal indeed. I've learned something!

And now I know I'm not safe. One needs to be quick to recover if needed from a data partition before the OS overwrites the data.

Cheers

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Thanks so much @Cyler for your feedback.
It helps a great deal indeed. I've learned something!

And now I know I'm not safe. One needs to be quick to recover if needed from a data partition before the OS overwrites the data.

Cheers
in the case of SSD, not just quick, you must be instant.
An even better solution is
ALL PERSONAL FILES MUST BE BACKED UP. Cloud or local is up to you but they must be backed up.
Things that can't be found again like :
  • photos
  • Personal or work Documents of any kind
  • Personal videos, recordings, etc
  • online account data we might forget
The way I see it is: For everything I can't turn back time to get... Back it up. Movies/music/software can be found and redownloaded again, but photos of my daughters... can't.
Anyway, we are getting off track a bit here, I just hope our friend Vlad finds a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.