Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked NVME protocol X570?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrabkid

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
950.3 GB
Uploaded
128.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Hey folks, Does anyone know what version of M.2/NVME is on the X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard?

Honestly I didn't know there was a version on these but after watching a few videos on YT, I found that there was. Basically my reason for this is that I have just purchased a Firecuda 530 2TB and again going by the videos I see the version on it is V1.4. The 980 Pro drive is V1.3C. Again going by these videos. So I am to make sure the motherboard can make use of the speeds it has to support the 1.3c and 1.4 versions.

Anyone got any clues on this as I can't seem to find any info on this on the Asus website or manual.

Baronstragen

Uploader
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
87.6 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
19 (20)
Member for 6 years
Found this in 2 seconds via Foogle:
P13pk8.jpg

So yes, it will support the most current speed PCIE 4.0

*TheBeast*

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
947.2 MB
Uploaded
149.2 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Hey :) just as @Baronstragen says your motherboard should support the Full speed of both those SSD's by the looks of it.

It's a nice motherboard I wanted an X570 Board myself but i just didn't like how the motherboards in the X570 series all have the Small Chipset Fan as i owned a Board years ago with a Chipset Fan and it would get caked in dust and was annoying to have to clean it eventually i stopped cleaning it and it died so when i was shopping for a new AM4 Board i Settled on the Asus B550 Gaming X Wifi just because it didn't have a chipset Fan. I am already Drooling over the Upcoming AM5 Coming out next year.

jrabkid

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
950.3 GB
Uploaded
128.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Found this in 2 seconds via Foogle:
P13pk8.jpg

So yes, it will support the most current speed PCIE 4.0
Sorry but your 2 second "Foogle" doesn't answer the question I asked but thanks for trying. I am asking if anyone knows what the NVMW protocol is on the X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, not if it will support PCIE 4.0.

Hey :) just as @Baronstragen says your motherboard should support the Full speed of both those SSD's by the looks of it.

It's a nice motherboard I wanted an X570 Board myself but i just didn't like how the motherboards in the X570 series all have the Small Chipset Fan as i owned a Board years ago with a Chipset Fan and it would get caked in dust and was annoying to have to clean it eventually i stopped cleaning it and it died so when i was shopping for a new AM4 Board i Settled on the Asus B550 Gaming X Wifi just because it didn't have a chipset Fan. I am already Drooling over the Upcoming AM5 Coming out next year.
Hey @*TheBeast* , its me who is having the question mate. Honestly the fan hasn't gave me a bit of issue at all. I do admit I had one years and years ago but I'm hoping tech has come a long way since then. AM4 will do me find for now as I have the 5950X, no doubt when AM5 launches the boards and cpus to match will cost a kidney lol

L3GI0N5

Power User
Downloaded
209.2 GB
Uploaded
4.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
23 (24)
Member for 5 years
Think you are going to have to ask the manufacturer support to answer you on that, I checked the website out on your specs, went through all available bios updates etc, dont see what you asking for, sorry cant help you from my side. maybe someone else would know more of this mobo too, just keep around and wait till an answer comes, or just best contact manufacturer. (But what i do know is that the mobo does support any Gen4 NVME on the m.2) PS, m.2 is a form factor not a protocol
It's like USB, same hole, different specs. It's going to be up to the board manufacturer what BUS types are connected to the M.2 slot. USUALLY, there is a PCIe 4x as well as a SATA bus connected to it, which allows you to put any type of M.2 you want in the slot, and the the board will be able to handle it.

A quick note on that: far more often than not, if you have a SATA type M.2 connected (like I do), one of your actually SATA ports will be disabled on your board, because that pipeline is being used by the M.2. If the M.2 is PCIe or open, the port works.

So what you need to do is study the spec sheet for that SPECIFIC board. So according to the official MSI specsheet for the MPG X570 Gaming Plus:
- 2x M.2 slots (Key M)

• M2_1 slot (from AMD® Processor)
    - Supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™)
    - Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics)
    - Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
  • M2_2 slot (from AMD® X570 Chipset)
    - Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s
    - Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280 storage devices
So if you have a PCIe 4.0 drive, it will ONLY work in slot 1. If you have a SATA drive, it will ONLY work in slot 2. PCIe 3.0 will work in either one.

Last edited:

Gorstak

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
291.2 GB
Uploaded
112.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
AFAIK, there are intel, amd and samsung nvme drivers. Firecuda is not nvme afaik, but sshd and should work with normal drivers. If you do not see the drive, it's possible it needs to be initialised and formatted first, and assigned a drive letter. All done through gparted on linux or disk management in windows.

jrabkid

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
950.3 GB
Uploaded
128.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Thanks for the reply's folks, from a bit more research and a bit of wiki I see the protocols that were mentioned are revisions of NVME. The early motherboards which had M.2 didn't support the 1.4 or 1.3C protocol as they call it but modern motherboards do. Anyhow long story short thanks for your advice guys. It seems it doesnt matter much if the motherboard was made in recent years then I should be able to use it to its full potential.

I see going by my manual I have 2x PCIE4 M.2 Ports, 1 via CPU & 1 via Chipset however for now I will only need the 1.

Thanks again folks,

Thread can now be closed.

vdogeek

🤴 Super Admin
Uploader
Downloaded
93.5 GB
Uploaded
56.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1199 (1205)
Member for 9 years
As per your request @jrabkid ... thread closed, locked and tagged as completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.