Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked m.2 NVME riser card not booting windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger

FB COMMANDER
👑 Administrator
Downloaded
1.1 TB
Uploaded
258.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
99 (102)
Member for 3 years
I'm Using : 1*NVMe M.2 NGFF SSD to PCI-E PCI express 3.0 16x x4 adapter riser card converte,

Pc Config :

The problem is this riser card is showing when i'm trying to install windows also on after windows boot,
but not booting windows, Not showing on boot Manu, After installing windows it shownig EFI Shell..

Please Help me ...

Thanks in advance .

MniawY

• STAFF™ 🌟
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
Downloaded
156.5 GB
Uploaded
51 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
104 (102)
Member for 7 years
I Hope @Cyler Can Discuss That with Us Further if he has free time, Thanks in Advance Sir ♻️🤍
Will Also Wait For @Wichestery2k & @Blackfoxer2017 if they can Feedback Us Soon 🍁🍂

Last edited:

Gst67234

Downloaded
413.5 GB
Uploaded
5.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
From what I see that mainboard never added nvme support in bios list .

fantom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
1,588.9 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years

Shariful

Put this in google " boot msi b85-g41 boot m.2 NVME "
Lots of isue but also solutions

steve ross

Downloaded
467.7 GB
Uploaded
670.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
I have an HP Z230, will not boot from NVME. It is a bios issue.I assume you have a simular problem.

kingkenny

Downloaded
931.9 GB
Uploaded
2.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Hey Shariful,
Depending on the type of Motherboard and its age you may find that the BIOS doesn't support M.2/know about any M.2 devices so is unable to support booting of Windows OS if installed on a M.2. Normally any M.2 pci cards are used for storage on older boards only as they cannot boot from such a device. Windows will install on any M.2 device as windows has drivers to natively support M. 2.

There used to be a site called win-raid (i think its moved to another site?) google "winraid Latest NVMe Support for old Systems". There should also be instructions for moddifying the BIOS yourself if you are willing to try. What ever you do make sure you keep a copy of the original Bios and a bootable USB in case you need to roll back.

If you can locate your board type/name you may find the lastest bios (or a recent one) that has been modified with a driver that allows booting from Windows OS.

Chances are... somebody else has had the same issue with the same board and put a request in for a modified bios and one of the members was able to do that for them. So you may find a working BIOS has already been tweaked. You would just need to flash it.

I had the same issue with an older Asus Rampage IV extreme board and the fix worked for me. Happy to help as much as I can. Hope you find what you need and get it sorted. Otherwise just ping me.

Kind Regards,
Kenny

Last edited:

Genius7979

Banned
Downloaded
666.2 GB
Uploaded
58.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
127 (0)
Member for 6 years
@Shariful , must update the Bios at Latest version ,, and verify please Boot settings > CSM > boot first !! from UEFi devices.

Last edited:

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
So, "Good" news/Bad news:

The bad news:
The B-85 Chipset can support the USE of a PCI nvme (or whatever is connected to PCI) but not the booting from that NVME. To do that, special tricks must be made which to be honest not sure it's worth the time but I will share anyway. The second issue is that your mobo on the PCIe slot of your mobo supports only up to PCI v2 X4, and that means that even tho your NVMe disk will probably be faster than your SSD, it won't be by that much, At least the NVMe can later be used on a newer PC at full speed so it doesn't really matter much. Just pointing this out in case you do tests and don't see the advertised speeds, not to worry that the disk is bad or has issues.

Before I start, my suggestion would be, to use your regular SSD to ONLY boot windows, and use the NVME for applications, games, and in general files that need the extra speed. That way you can test, and switch windows build, or even multiboot, and not have to worry about your files since they will be on a different disk, and on top of not going through the hassle, you are about to read, to install this or new versions of windows.

"Good" News:
As @kingkenny said above you can read this link https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/guide-nvme-boot-without-modding-your-uefi-bios-clover-efi-bootloader-method/31665 and it describes how by using an external bootloader on a USB thumb drive or any other boot capable device, (I even did it with a floppy disk in the past), you can boot from PCI, but as I said above, not sure it worth going through that trouble to save a second or 2 from booting.

Just for trying it, I also assume you checked and disabled CMS and/or secure boot (however your mobo calls it) and disconnect all other drives? I doubt it will work but... you never know. Additionally, check if any new bios do support NVMe but intel was clear that anything below z97 will not get NVMe boot support. Having said that you may search for a Modified bios that does support NVMe but the risk is all yours.

Hope it helped and I wish there was a better solution for you.

Last edited:

kingkenny

Downloaded
931.9 GB
Uploaded
2.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Kinda agree with Cyler on the above if the MB is old. There was also some software called Clover. Never used it but that as an alternative solution. Google search"

How to boot from NVME using Clover - NVME PCIe Adapter"​

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
Kinda agree with Cyler on the above if the MB is old. There was also some software called Clover. Never used it but that as an alternative solution. Google search"

How to boot from NVME using Clover - NVME PCIe Adapter"​

Hehe, that is exactly what I posted, check the link that I have included. Its on the "good news" part :p

Ranger

FB COMMANDER
👑 Administrator
Downloaded
1.1 TB
Uploaded
258.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
99 (102)
Member for 3 years
Hello sir @Cyler & @kingkenny i found this
And I want to try it first, if it works for me I will share it on TeamOS so that everyone can get help...

Can't thank you enough...

kingkenny

Downloaded
931.9 GB
Uploaded
2.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
So, "Good" news/Bad news:

The bad news:
The B-85 Chipset can support the USE of a PCI nvme (or whatever is connected to PCI) but not the booting from that NVME. To do that, special tricks must be made which to be honest not sure it's worth the time but I will share anyway. The second issue is that your mobo on the PCIe slot of your mobo supports only up to PCI v2 X4, and that means that even tho your NVMe disk will probably be faster than your SSD, it won't be by that much, At least the NVMe can later be used on a newer PC at full speed so it doesn't really matter much. Just pointing this out in case you do tests and don't see the advertised speeds, not to worry that the disk is bad or has issues.

Before I start, my suggestion would be, to use your regular SSD to ONLY boot windows, and use the NVME for applications, games, and in general files that need the extra speed. That way you can test, and switch windows build, or even multiboot, and not have to worry about your files since they will be on a different disk, and on top of not going through the hassle, you are about to read, to install this or new versions of windows.

"Good" News:
As @kingkenny said above you can read this link https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/guide-nvme-boot-without-modding-your-uefi-bios-clover-efi-bootloader-method/31665 and it describes how by using an external bootloader on a USB thumb drive or any other boot capable device, (I even did it with a floppy disk in the past), you can boot from PCI, but as I said above, not sure it worth going through that trouble to save a second or 2 from booting.

Just for trying it, I also assume you checked and disabled CMS and/or secure boot (however your mobo calls it) and disconnect all other drives? I doubt it will work but... you never know. Additionally, check if any new bios do support NVMe but intel was clear that anything below z97 will not get NVMe boot support. Having said that you may search for a Modified bios that does support NVMe but the risk is all yours.

Hope it helped and I wish there was a better solution for you.

Opps yeah it is. Sorry. I only read as far as the " ...." lol. Totally missed that! :)

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
52.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
255 (263)
Member for 7 years
@Shariful I had issue with these third party adapters, only the ones I have bought on Amazon seems to work... do you have a NVME M.2 slot on your board?? and does it recognize the SSD on there??
and what brand are the M.2 you are using and models and are you trying a raid setup??

forso

Downloaded
340.4 GB
Uploaded
3.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Seems like your motherboard dosen't support NVME boot. What i did when i was in the same situation : make a Clover bootable USB ( you can alternatively install it on another HDD/SSD other than the NVME ). As Clover emulate a EFI that is NVME ready you'll see that NVME and you'll be able to boot from it from the Clover boot menu.

* Note that if you make a Clover USB that USB have to be in the PC at boot obiviously

Ranger

FB COMMANDER
👑 Administrator
Downloaded
1.1 TB
Uploaded
258.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
99 (102)
Member for 3 years