Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Tutorials How to Dual Boot Chrome OS and Windows 10 (Supports Play Store)

ph4nt0m

D4RK SH4D0W
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
689.1 GB
Uploaded
10.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years

Requirements​

• UEFI support in the motherboard
  • Support for legacy BIOS has also been added, but there are a few limitations. You can read the documentation
Code:
https://github.com/sebanc/brunch/blob/master/README.md#limited-support-for-mbrbios-devices
  • Intel-based CPU and GPU
  • Support for AMD CPU and GPU has also been added, but currently, it only supports AMD Ryzen 3XXX and AMD Stoney Ridge processors
  • A USB flash drive with at least 16GB of storage space

Downloads​

1. First off, download the Linux Mint Cinnamon image
Code:
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

You can also use other Linux distros such as Ubuntu or Debian, but since Linux Mint is pretty lightweight, I am using it in this tutorial.

2. Next, download Rufus so that we can flash Linux Mint Cinnamon on the USB drive.
Code:
https://rufus.ie/

3. After that, download the official Chrome OS recovery image from here. If this link is not working then you can download the image from here as well.
Code:
https://cros.tech/

Open the website and search for “rammus”. Now, click on the latest recovery image to download it (right now it’s 87, but it may change in the future). Here, I am recommending “rammus” because it works on modern Intel processors. However, you should follow the below rule and download the specific image based on your processor.

• “rammus” is the recommended image for devices with 4th generation Intel CPU and newer.
  • “samus” is the recommended image for devices with 3rd generation Intel CPU and older.
  • “zork” is the image to use for AMD Ryzen 3XXX.
  • “grunt” is the image to use for AMD Stoney Ridge.

4. Now, download the most important file: Brunch. It’s a framework built by a developer named sebanc so huge thanks to him for making this project possible. The framework creates a generic Chrome OS image from the official recovery image so it can be installed on any Windows PC. To download the file,
Code:
https://github.com/sebanc/brunch/releases

and look for the latest stable build and then click on “Assets”. Now, download the “tar.gz” file.

5. Finally, download the “multi_install.sh” script which magically installs Chrome OS on a Windows partition. The script has been written by Kedar Nimbalkar. To download it,
Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/shrikant2002/ChromeOS/master/multi_install.sh
and press Ctrl + S to save the file.
If the above link is not working then you can click on this alternative link to download the “multi_install.sh” script.
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1okMZlDAscsh5-3r-BH5BoflMYHODPehd/view?usp=sharing

Now that we are done with the downloads, let’s jump to the steps, shall we?

Manage Files​

1. First of all, create a folder named “Chrome OS” on a drive that has ample space. After that, move the “multi_install.sh” file to the “Chrome OS” folder.

2. Next, right-click on the Brunch file and choose “Extract to Brunch…”. All the files will be extracted in a folder.

3. Now, move all the extracted Brunch files to the same “Chrome OS” folder.

4. Similarly, extract the official Chrome OS recovery image and you will get a folder on the desktop. Open it and rename the file to rammus_recovery.bin. If you have downloaded another image then rename it accordingly. For example, if you have downloaded the “samus” image then rename it to samus_recovery.bin.

5. Finally, move the “rammus_recovery.bin” file to the “Chrome OS” folder. By the end, you should have these 6 files inside the “Chrome OS” folder. Make a note of where you have kept the “Chrome OS” folder.

Create Partition​

You need to create an “Unallocated” partition on Windows 10 which should at least have 14GB or more space. I have provided 100GB of space, but you can choose your own partition size. Having said that, make sure to follow these rules so that you don’t encounter errors during the installation process.

• Make sure the Chrome OS partition (unallocated) size is less than the drive where you have stored the Chrome OS folder. For example, I have stored the Chrome OS folder in the C drive which has 120GB of free space so I assigned 100GB to the Chrome OS partition.
  • Although I have created a 100GB partition in this tutorial, I would recommend you to assign partition size in this fashion: the partition size should be divisible by 11. For example, 99000MB (99GB), 88000MB (88GB), 77000MB (77GB) and so on. I know this sounds weird, but it has worked for many users.
1. Press the Windows key once and search for “disk partition“. Now, click on the first result.

2. Here, right-click on the last drive and select “Shrink Volume”.

3. Now, enter 102400 MB which equals 100 GB or whatever your preferred size is (must be above 14GB). After that, click on “Shrink“.

4. You have successfully created an “Unallocated” partition. In the next few steps, you will be installing Chrome OS to this unallocated partition.

Flash Linux Mint Cinnamon​

1. Connect your USB flash drive and open Rufus. Next, click on the “Select” button and choose the Linux Mint Cinnamon ISO image. Now, just click on “Start”. You will get a few prompts so click on “Yes” and “OK” to continue the flashing process.

2. After Rufus is done with flashing, close it. Now, plug the USB flash drive into the PC on which you want to install Chrome OS. If you are installing Chrome OS on the same PC then keep it plugged in.

3. Next, restart your PC and press the boot key continuously to boot into the UEFI/BIOS menu. If you don’t know the boot key of your PC then you can find it from the below table.

4. Once you have entered the BIOS, move to the “Boot” tab and select “UEFI” from the Boot List Option. If this option is not available then don’t worry, move to the next step.

5. After that, move to the “Security” tab and disable “Secure Boot”. Keep in mind, every BIOS has its own interface so the menu placement might differ from one PC to another. Nevertheless, look for “UEFI” and “Secure Boot” under Security, Boot, or System Configuration tabs and make the changes accordingly. Keep in mind, disabling Secure Boot is mandatory.

6. Finally, move to the “Exit” tab and choose “Exit Save Changes“. Immediately, after that, start pressing the boot key again. You will be asked to choose your boot device. Select the “USB drive” and hit enter.

7. You will boot straight into Linux Mint Cinnamon. If you are prompted with a splash screen, choose the default option: “Start Linux Mint“.

Install Chrome OS​

1. Now that you have booted into Linux Mint, click on the network icon at the bottom-right corner and connect to WiFi or Ethernet. The Chrome OS installer will need an active internet connection to download some necessary libraries and dependencies.

2. Now, open “Computer” on the desktop and move to the drive where you have stored the “Chrome OS folder“.

3. Here, right-click anywhere on the window and open Terminal. Now, type sudo sh multi_install.sh and hit enter.

4. It will start downloading the necessary libraries. After that, a GParted window will automatically open up. Here, scroll down and select the “unallocated” partition (100GB). After that, click on the “Plus” button at the top menu bar.

5. Next, choose “ntfs” as the file system and click on “Add”.

6. After that, click on the “Done” button at the top menu-bar.

7. Next, click on the “Apply” button.

8. Now, make a note of partition number which starts with “sda”. For instance, mine is sda9. Finally, close the GParted window.

9. On the Terminal window, enter the partition number that you noted above and hit enter.

10. It will show you the partition detail and will ask for your confirmation. If the partition selection is correct, type yes and hit enter.

11. Finally, Linux Mint will start installing Chrome OS on your Windows partition.

12. After the installation is complete, on the Terminal window, scroll up a bit and you will find a “menuentry” section. Now, select whatever is inside the “menuentry” section and copy it. You can right-click on the Terminal window to copy it.

13. Open “Computer” from the desktop again and move to C drive or any other Windows partition. Right-click and select New Document -> Empty document. Here, add .txt at the end and save it.

14. Now, open the text file and paste the commands that you copied from the terminal window. After that, save the text file.

15. You are finally done with the installation. Now, click on the start menu of Linux Mint and restart your computer. Immediately after that, remove the USB drive and you will boot directly into Windows 10 as we have one more step to do.

Dual Boot Chrome OS and Windows 10​

You have successfully installed Chrome OS on a Windows partition, but you need to add Chrome OS as a bootable OS during the startup. And for that, we will use the Grub2Win application.

1. Boot into Windows 10 and download Grub2Win (Free) application.
Code:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/grub2win/

Keep in mind, the application is slightly slow so keep patience while handling it. If Grub2Win is not working then you can try EasyUEFI (Free trial for 15 days) as well.

2. During the setup on Grub2Win, keep everything as default and move forward. After that, click on “Manage Boot Menu“.

3. Here, click on “Add a New Entry“.

4. From the drop-down menu, select “submenu” and type “Chrome OS” under the Title field. Next, click on “Edit Custom Code“.

5. Here, paste the command that you copied from the Terminal and saved it in a text file. It should start with “img_part” and make sure there is no “}” at the end. Now, click on “Apply” and “OK”.

6. You have successfully added Chrome OS to the boot menu along with Windows 10. You can also move Chrome OS to the top by clicking on the “arrow” icon. Finally, click on “Apply”.

7. Now, restart your computer, and this time, you would find both Chrome OS and Windows 10 in a Grub2Win interface. Select “Chrome OS” and it will take some time to set up everything on the first run.

Note: If the Grub2Win interface is not showing up after a few bootups then move to the Troubleshoot section for resolving the issue.

8. You can now set up your Google account and enjoy Chrome OS along with Windows 10. In case, WiFi or any other hardware device is not working on Chrome OS then move to the Troubleshoot section to find a solution.

Credit:

Special Thanks To:-
Script Written by Kedar Nimbalkar
Framework Built by Sebanc.

Last edited:

HappyCroc81

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
168.2 GB
Uploaded
14 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
Very detailed explanation, thank you @ph4nt0m

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 4 years
@ph4nt0m thanks for this. Just 2 q's mate:
1. What is the relation of ChromeOS soace to be lower?
2. Where exactly is the real chromeos downloaded from? I have searched and can see some versions, but yours seem to be a bit different.

Finally, update-grub should work, if one has Unix/Linux as well. Probably add that as a section, for "if" users.

Edit: URLs within the code section are repeated one after the other. Kindly amend the same to reflect correctly. Danke.

Last edited:

ph4nt0m

D4RK SH4D0W
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
689.1 GB
Uploaded
10.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
@ph4nt0m thanks for this. Just 2 q's mate:
1. What is the relation of ChromeOS soace to be lower?
2. Where exactly is the real chromeos downloaded from? I have searched and can see some versions, but yours seem to be a but different.

Finally, update-grub should work, if one has Unix/Linux as well. Probably add that as a section, for "if" users.

Edit: URLs within the code section are repeated one after the other. Kindly amend the same to reflect correctly. Danke.
you are officially not allowed to run Chrome OS with Play Store support on non-certified machines. In some ways or the other, you might be violating Google’s terms and conditions, Thank you for informing me about of links happy to help :)

mobi0001

The Power Is Yours!!!
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
62.3 GB
Uploaded
11.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
89 (104)
Member for 4 years
you are officially not allowed to run Chrome OS with Play Store support on non-certified machines. In some ways or the other, you might be violating Google’s terms and conditions, Thank you for informing me about of links happy to help :)
You are welcome.
But you did not understand my q's in 1 & 2. Anyways, I got my answers upon digging up.
Finally the multi_install.sh is written by Shrikant Nimbalkar & not Kedar Nimbalkar. Suggest you correct it mate. :)

ph4nt0m

D4RK SH4D0W
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
689.1 GB
Uploaded
10.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
You are welcome.
But you did not understand my q's in 1 & 2. Anyways, I got my answers upon digging up.
Finally the multi_install.sh is written by Shrikant Nimbalkar & not Kedar Nimbalkar. Suggest you correct it mate. :)
i know what did you ask but i can't give any info about this post bcz i'm not author of this post im just sharing it to help others.