Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Hello, any Linux daily drivers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pleiadians

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
188.8 GB
Uploaded
713.5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Hello everyone and thank you for your time and attention. Are there many people here that use Linux daily? Could you share your experiences please? What distro do you use, how did you choose it? Do you find it stable and user friendly? How do you find life without Windows as a main OS? I have used windows since dos but I can not at all take to 11 and the direction Windows is heading in and it is time for me to try other things. I have worked with Mac and Linux on other peoples machines but have only dipped my toes in for myself with virtual machines. I appreciate any discussion or information. Thank you all and I hope your day is good.

red spider

Downloaded
95.2 GB
Uploaded
2.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Arch, I don't like windows nor mac. I tried all kinds of distros but prefered arch because it was bare bones.

Genius7979

Banned
Downloaded
666.2 GB
Uploaded
58.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
127 (0)
Member for 6 years
Yes , Me.
GARUDA KDE is my preferate ,, because is ROCK Solid , STABLE ,, ZRAM ,, Updatable to Latest existent Kernel and packages.
i use it baremetal ,, not virtually ,, and Recommend it !! .:inlove:

MediumSteak

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
12.2 GB
Uploaded
13.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
i'm currently using endeavour os as my daily driver. but yeah, it's dual boot, i never migrate to linux completely since my first linux installation.
my first distro was backtrack 5 (2013) -> kali linux (2013), i didn't not really use it at that time though, I was just curious about hacking thing. and then use backbox few years later and then debian. i'm kinda enjoy with debian but yeah most of their package were outdated. then use manjaro, but i don't know my laptop always gets overheat with manjaro. it's been more than a year for me to use endeavour. maybe i'm gonna try arch linux next time. currently i'm still enjoy with my endeavour

MediumSteak

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
12.2 GB
Uploaded
13.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
Arch, I don't like windows nor mac. I tried all kinds of distros but prefered arch because it was bare bones.
hi bro,
i find on peer list that you are using rtorrent. to manage your torrent, are you using the web gui like rutorrent or just using rtorrent?

red spider

Downloaded
95.2 GB
Uploaded
2.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
hi bro,
i find on peer list that you are using rtorrent. to manage your torrent, are you using the web gui like rutorrent or just using rtorrent?
web gui, but let's keep this ontopic please, if you need me just dm me.

MediumSteak

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
12.2 GB
Uploaded
13.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 3 years
web gui, but let's keep this ontopic please, if you need me just dm me.
perfect, i have issue with this
hehe yeah sorry for hijacking.
pm will be sent soon

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Hi Pleiadians, I often see your answers in this forum. You seem like a person who knows very much about PCs and technology so I will go straight to the point and not sugarcoat it, but also do some mental gymnastics and give you my opinion as to why it's not in the best interest to ask for opinions (see what I did there?) on such subjects.

If you ask 100 people you will get 110 answers and you will be back at square one but maybe more confused. This Linux is the best.. no, the other Linux is better and it never stops :p Os by itself can be easy, or hard but also can be perceived as easy/hard depending on how well one knows about PCs, troubleshooting, and maybe some light coding (Linux needs a little bit of that) as well as one's goals. Some may want Linux to be used as a server others as a web OS and anything in between so everyone's opinion will most likely be subjective and not objective. The best advice I can give you is... make a partition (or a VM if that is an issue) and "jump in the water" That is the only way you will learn to swim.
QoX0d3.gif

Start with the "high level" Linuxes like Zorin, Ubuntu, Pop!_OS, and Mint that are more user-friendly (especially finding software to start) and slowly start to swim. Check before installing on youtube and see which one interests you or as I say "clicks" with your personal taste. Try different distros till you find your match. Try to spend a day not switching to windows and find solutions to any possible problem, (most would be like finding a good music player, etc :p ) You will find that Linux is a LOT easier than you think. Before installing, make sure that, if you have any "exotic" hardware, it can work with the above OSes (google is your friend).

Now, my personal subjective opinion: I'm not sure why people care for the OS so much. In our lives, we don't really use the OS. The OS sits between the software we want to run and the hardware we have and is used mainly by the applications, and not from us directly, and we maybe use close to 1% or 2% of it. Most people will interact with OS only when it comes to file handling (creating folders, moving/copying files, etc), when we print things, trying to set up a new device/hardware, and maybe beautifying the OS (wallpapers, icons, blah blah). The only 3 groups I can think of that interact with OS at a deeper level are programmers and enthusiasts, IT/Deployment professionals, and maybe people that professionally sell/install/support PCs and OSes.

I mostly care about where my applications run and sadly the VAST majority of those apps I want and use, exist only in windows and there is no alternative (the first person who will say to use gimp as a photoshop alternative will get banned). I can see Linux as an OS for people that will use the PC for the internet only and maybe some light personal work like managing photos, some document editing, listening to music, and whatnot but that's it but you know what, Tablets do the same thing and so is Chrome OS (which is a Linux based after all). I did this with my mother's PCs and she has no issues using "Linux" but then again she never really does use Linux. OS boots straight to chrome and not even the desktop and I made a custom startup page with icons for her to use the PC like click here for your files, click here for the weather, and so on but I could have done this equally easily with a windows PC. I choose Zorin just as an experiment (poor mom), but it worked, which only showed me that people don't really care for OS.

Apologies for the wall of text, and I hope it helped.

Last edited:

pleiadians

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
188.8 GB
Uploaded
713.5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
All answers are greatly appreciated. I understand that I would still have to keep a spare machine running windows at all times to keep a foot in that world. I am lucky that I don't need any Windows specific applications for daily use. Office 365 works fine with Linux and Mac. I have used Ubuntu as a boot disk and it seems reasonably straightforward as a starting point, all the hardware works and the visuals are excellent on high dpi. I think the thing is that I feel it important to get to grips with Linux as an OS and become comfortable with it in a daily capacity because I feel that Windows is moving to a service thing, like Chrome OS and that it will stop being a stand alone full operating system in the next few years. Everything will be locked down and subscription based. I don't want to arrive at a place where I am a one trick pony and unable to provide alternative solutions. I aim to start with a laptop as a second machine and work up from there. Linux only forums can be a bit intense, a bit fanatical so I'm interested to hear from a more regular group of computer fans. Thank you all, it's very interesting to hear the different ideas and I am grateful for them.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Just to inform you and everyone else, Windows 12 and on, will go back to the windows 7 model and not the SaaS model of windows 10. Think of them as the LTSC version but with an upgrade every year or so and not every 2 weeks or at least that is the plan so far.

I think we will have 2 different versions of windows tbh:
  • The desktop version with yearly (or more) upgrades (service packs), similar to the ones we use now that can take advantage of our hardware
  • The cloud version ala office 360 which you will need a PC with barely enough to boot and give access to the cloud.
Besides the above tho it's a smart move to dive into an alternative OS cause you never know what tomorrow brings but more because it's fun to explore and learn new things, scary as it may look at the beginning.

steve ross

Downloaded
467.7 GB
Uploaded
671.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Linux Mint 20.3, only use Windows for a video game. Have tried dozens of Linux distro's.

Last edited:

pleiadians

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
188.8 GB
Uploaded
713.5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
For anyone's interest as a follow up. I installed Ubuntu as a starter as it has the most support online. The installation was painless and had an interesting choice to use zfs. I installed Xanmod kernel for the fun of it and got Gnome boxes ruining a windows 10 install that I converted from vmdk to qcow2. I have to watch my spelling and syntax on the command line as the enforcement of capital letters tripped me up a bit. The file /folder navigation is a bit confusing but not rocket science. Taking ownership and changing file permissions on a secondary hard drive was the most complicated bit so far. One thing I like so far is the high dpi settings, it's fantastic, everything is legible and in proportion, it's something I always have trouble with in Windows is getting high dpi working well. There are many interesting distros going forward but for now, I'll stay in the learners lane. By the way, I did consider doing all this through Proxmox and running a Macos that way too but I don't have a machine with enough threads at the moment. With the right motherboard, Porxmox can run at 90 percent native speeds and have full hardware pass through. Thank you all again.

iwanjeh

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
418.2 GB
Uploaded
2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
started knowing linux with mandrake 8.0 as written on its book, delivered with a CD on it, and installed on PC school over 2007 hee
as a daily, today using MX linux KDE, run smooth and no problem with driver on AMD All in one

Status
Not open for further replies.