Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Create Windows 10 Image In Virtualbox And Restore The Image To My PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realo nameo

Downloaded
64.1 GB
Uploaded
3.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Hi. Can I create an image of Windows 10 in Virtualbox and then restore the image to my PC? Has anyone done this successfully?
  1. Virtualbox is hosted on same PC as PC to be restored (64-bit)
  2. The image include all driver (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc) needed and software (Adobe, VLC, etc)
  3. The Image created using Macrium Reflect
I have Google this and know the answer in SuperUser but I really need the answer from the expert here.

Thank you :h:

Last edited:

fantom

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
1,590.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 10 years

Realo nameo

Didn't do it by myself, just looked to my old good friend Google and find that I need to type in search box >> " How can I convert a virtual image into .iso file for a physical machine ? "

Then, on first article, go to third answer and You shall find a possible solution to do it!

Realo nameo

Downloaded
64.1 GB
Uploaded
3.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Thank you, @fantom . It is much easier to ask Google with these keyword "virtual image" & "physical machine". :D

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Just so I am clear on this. You are asking for migration of windows from a VM to a physical PC (which VM is kinda irrelevant) which by the way might be a better term to use when you search google. If that is the case, there are lots of programs that do that like Dism(++) that can capture an image of any existing window partition and make it ready to be installed. For that matter, most backup software will actually do that too, for example, Macrium reflect. As you said, plenty of guides on the net for either case.

In my opinion, and talking about the procedure, I can't see any real benefit and actually might have some drawbacks. You may force for example a USB3 driver but you can't force an AMD or Nvidia driver, often you cant install mobo/chipset drivers, and other such things as those chips don't really exist inside a VM. VMs Emulate their own unique hardware and need their own unique drivers. Sure you can have some apps preinstalled but keep in mind that some apps check for hardware during setup and install/activate only the things that they can use. So in a VM for example you cant have full graphic acceleration (which is why you can't play games fully), or CUDA support, and so those options are going to be disabled and after the restore, you have to go to each application and reenable hardware support if they have any.

My point is, no matter what you will still have to check/install drivers after each restore, have to check apps for correct settings, etc, still, waste some time.

You can achieve the same and faster by making a clean install on your physical PC, install drivers, install the software you like to have, take an image of the physical PC which will include the proper drivers, apps, and settings. After you are done, capture that image and reinstall it when you need it.

To be honest, for those of us who manage servers and test machines, we often use the opposite procedure, and transfer a real PC to a VM for testing or using for multiple clients, VDI, and other such uses as often it's faster to install and set as we need on a physical PC and then convert that to a VM image for distribution. Once done with the installation, we clean the image from any drivers, pack, and deploy via a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk). The steps are more or less the same tho which is why I can say it's working fine

I assume you needed an opinion and not the exact steps. Exact steps can be found all over the net, which makes it kinda pointless to just copy-paste here.

Hope it helped.

Edit: Forgot to add that if driver installation is your goal, you can search about how to inject drivers in a windows Image

Last edited:

ano15

Downloaded
19.1 GB
Uploaded
17.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
Mate is a waste of time

pleiadians

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
188.8 GB
Uploaded
713.5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Install terabyte drive image on the guest machine, you can get it onsite Enable shared folders in vmware or virtual box. Use a secondary drive or external drive and map the shared folders to that drive. Make a drive image of the guests machine using Terabyte as it has an option to save the image to a vmware map. Use Strelec boot disk that you can get here or online. Boot to Strelec on the physical machine and use terabyte to restore the image to the physical pc. I do this all the time to test os of all sorts. You can resize the partiton sizes on the new os using aomei partition manager, also available here. I keep several versions of windows, 32bit, 64bit, with office etc, as vmware images. I update them every month and image them to terabyte images and use these images to quickly restore windows to laptops /pcs. Saves hours reinstalling windows.

vdogeek

🤴 Super Admin
Uploader
Downloaded
93.5 GB
Uploaded
56.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1199 (1205)
Member for 9 years
Moved to Help & Request,,, no clue why it was in Feedback & Suggestions Category.

Realo nameo

Downloaded
64.1 GB
Uploaded
3.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
In my opinion, and talking about the procedure, I can't see any real benefit and actually might have some drawbacks. You may force for example a USB3 driver but you can't force an AMD or Nvidia driver, often you cant install mobo/chipset drivers, and other such things as those chips don't really exist inside a VM. VMs Emulate their own unique hardware and need their own unique drivers. Sure you can have some apps preinstalled but keep in mind that some apps check for hardware during setup and install/activate only the things that they can use. So in a VM for example you cant have full graphic acceleration (which is why you can't play games fully), or CUDA support, and so those options are going to be disabled and after the restore, you have to go to each application and reenable hardware support if they have any.

My point is, no matter what you will still have to check/install drivers after each restore, have to check apps for correct settings, etc, still, waste some time.

Thank you :h: for giving me a straight answer. I have study it after received a reply from Fantom, it is much easier to Google with correct term. Everybody on the web say "might worked, might not", "yes and no" and some give opinion based on Linux OS. But your straight answer is enough for me not to waste my time. I am no expert to trial and error.

You can achieve the same and faster by making a clean install on your physical PC, install drivers, install the software you like to have, take an image of the physical PC which will include the proper drivers, apps, and settings. After you are done, capture that image and reinstall it when you need it.

I have done this using Macrium Reflect since July after study it in TeamOS. I am tired actually to keep making Windows image using my PC because I need to use my PC for work. I have to spend 4-6 hours when I want to create an image (fresh install Windows, install all driver, reboot-install-reboot, install 50 latest software update, disable every software auto-update, configure software setting, uninstall Windows App, check startup program, check registry, reboot, check, reboot, check). After done it, then I can continue using my PC to do my work. Fuh.. :sweating:

I assume you needed an opinion and not the exact steps. Exact steps can be found all over the net, which makes it kinda pointless to just copy-paste here.

Hope it helped.

Yes, I really need an opinion. If there is no any problem to successfully done it, then I will take my time to study how to do it. Now, I just keep doing the same thing, using my physical PC to create Windows image.

Thank you :h: for the detailed answer, @Cyler .

pleiadians

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
188.8 GB
Uploaded
713.5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
I have found the combination of vmware workstation, available onsite, and terabyte drive image and Strelec boot disk to be the best combination. Drivers are done easy by using driverpack solutions. I described the basic steps to demonstarate that it can be done and done fast and easy, especially if you have a secondary onboard drive to save the images onto. Yes using virtual machines allows you to work on your pc while preparing another. As long as you also image your physical machine, you can always go back in minutes. i also use an old pc connected by vnc to create images on while working on my good pc, no need for a monitor, mouse or keyboard so it doesn't take up much space. You don't need a great pc for creating images on, it might be a bit slower but it doesn't risk your working pc. Good luck with your testing.

MniawY

Former STAFF 🌟
Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
156.5 GB
Uploaded
51.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
104 (102)
Member for 7 years
I think things are fine here and the author got the detailed answers
Sir @Realo nameo, Tell me if you are satisfied
so i can tag this Completed ☑️

Realo nameo

Downloaded
64.1 GB
Uploaded
3.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Thank you for the suggestion, @pleiadians . I will try your method after I learn how to restore an image on different hardware.

Yes, @MniawY . You may tag this Completed. Thank you, sir

Uncle Mac

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
91.3 GB
Uploaded
306.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
333 (352)
Member for 10 years