Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Tips & Tricks Windows 10 Building and Modding and Custom OS"s

Proteus

acta non verba
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (229)
Member for 5 years
EDIT August 15, 2021: New Updated build Process. Once you build like this, you can use the
other tools (in the lower section of tutorial) to edit the WIM before converting to ESD.

NOTE: If video is grainy, change it to 720p. Future videos will be in 1080p.

bnAom.png

Part 1

ok.....class is in session

This Post is made so NOONE has to EVER ask in chat again HOW to build an OS. It is against the rules.
However, information is sketchy at best out there on the NET and I'd rather take
the time to build this tutorial than to have someone post badly done trash to this forum.
PLEASE take the time to do MORE research on the subject if you are indeed serious about building.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to build an OS using VirtualBox

NOTE: Updated 4-10-2021: When building, use VHD for hard drives even though illustrations show VDI.

Grab a CLEAN unmodified version of windows 10
Open Virtualbox and make a NEW entry. (Virtual Machine or VM)
Give that VM a DYNAMIC hard drive of 100gb (dynamic is set to 100gb but only uses space as needed so the whole 100gb isnt used)
Give that VM a 2nd DYNAMIC hard drive of 50gb and name it WIMS
Memory for VM - 4096gb (Your availability may vary)
Cores - 4 (your availability may vary)

Heres my setup in pics, easier to explain. The only settings I change from default are shown in images, so if you set yours up the same way as shown, it should work same as mine. My VM is named Windows10Builder.

1general.jpg
2systemmobo.jpg

3systemproc.jpg
4systemaccel.jpg

5displayvideo.jpg
6storage.jpg

When Virtualbox is setup, load the clean win10 and install as you normally would.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When it gets HERE, do what the PIC says do.

7auditmode.jpg

PC will boot into AUDIT mode as administrator. You can use it just like a regular PC. Here is where you add any and all software, windows updates,
and any customisations you want to do to the system.

NOTE: I have an ISO I created with ALL my customization utilities, themes, etc. (BUILDER.ISO) When I build a new OS, I can just load the ISO and use my tools over and over again with each new build.

NOTE: I made the WIM drive 50gb on MY config so it could hold both the newly created .WIM file, as well as ALL my customization tools so I dont have to load the customization ISO every time.
This is done by loading the BUILDER.ISO in the VM CDROM then just copying over to the WIM drive.

The 1st thing I do is rename my C:\ Drive to WINDOWS and my D:\ Drive (or whatever drive the 50gb is) to WIMS (this helps later with the build process)

THIS will be on the screen, you can close it out as long as NO boxes are checked. When you reboot, the machine will always boot back into
audit mode and THIS will pop back up on the screen. You can reboot machine as many times as needed and it will ALWAYS boot back into
AUDIT mode as ADMIN.

8sysprep.jpg

When you are finished installing software, updates, and customisations, run the DISK CLEANUP utility located in the start menu. I checkmark ALL
the boxes, and it takes about 2-5 min. IF you have installed windows updates, the process can take up to an hour to clean out the older packages.

When you are done with EVERYTHING and have customized to your liking, and want to finalize your windows:

1 - Make sure the clean version of windows you installed from is loaded in the VM CDROM

2 - Make sure its ENTER SYSTEM OUT OF BOX EXPERIENCE (OOBE) , Checkmark the box GENERALIZE and SHUTDOWN click OK

9oobe.jpg

You will see this on your screen for about 3-10 minutes depending how big your build is.

10sysprepworking.jpg

Machine will SHUT DOWN when finished sysprep functions.

Congrats, you have just finished Part 1 of building! Now to Part 2!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2

NOTE: Make SURE the clean version you installed from is LOADED in the VM CDROM

Now comes the fun (not) part. VERY time consuming. Restart the VM and when the PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD pops up, HIT a key, ANY key, and it will boot to Win10 install. When it get there, do as show in the following pic. Hit Shift F10

11commandprompt.jpg

A command prompt will popup with X:\SOURCES at the bottom.

1- Type in DISKPART and (enter)
2- When diskpart is loaded, hit LIST VOL (enter)

This window will now popup (this is mine, yours may be different, but you will get the idea)

12diskpart.jpg

The drives will be named. Look for the WINDOWS drive and WIMS drive (the ones we renamed at the start of the build) and remember their drive letters or write them down if needed.

After seeing where your drives are. I want to capture to the WIMS/D-Drive and the disk I want to capture is WINDOWS/C-Drive

NOTE: YOUR drives may or may not be C and D, they may be F and G, thats why we rename them at start of build to WINDOWS and WIMS
so we know which is which.

Type this command, with spaces before EVERY /

Screenshot_1bc2d0a0a68b18684.jpg

NOTE: REMEMBER to change the IMAGEFILE drive to the WIMS drive letter and the CAPTUREDIR drive to the WINDOWS drive letter.

Press ENTER

This will run for FOREVER it seems. Usually about 20-60 minutes depending on the size of the build AND the speed of your machine and hard drives.
When it reaches 100% and file is saved, close down the VM totally.

Yay!!! End of Part 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: Updated 4-10-2021: Use VHD Attatch or VHD Manager, and mount the WIMS VHD (where you saved the INSTALL.WIM). Once mounted, copy the INSTALL.WIM to hard drive and then dismount the VHD. Once done, you can skip to part 4. This is just a quicker way of doing it. Nothing wrong having another VM made to retrieve the WIM file though. Redundancy :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part 3

I have a Win7 VM made just to get to the WIM files I create. I load it and add a 2nd Hard drive to it. instead of creating a NEW hard drive, I choose EXISTING hard drive, and choose the WIMS hard drive I made in the Windows 10 build.

147setup1.jpg

NOTE: Make sure you have installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions when you first build this Win7 VM or install it anytime afterwards, otherwise you wont be able to create links to REAL hard drive.

1 - Add links to REAL hard drive (under shared folders)

157setup2.jpg

2 - Boot the VM and navigate to the WIM folder and there should be your SAVED install.wim.

3 - Copy install.wim to your REAL hard drive and shutdown your VM when finished.

Yay!!! End of Part 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 4

1 - Make a directory of choice, lets say for example D:\BUILDS
2 - Using 7zip (or other) open the CLEAN original WIN10.ISO and extract it to the D:\BUILDS folder
3 - Go into that folder and there will be a folder called SOURCES, go in there and DELETE the install.wim or install.esd
4 - Copy YOUR new install.wim into the SOURCES folder.
5 - install.esd is the same as install.wim, but is smaller due to better compression. when building, you can ONLY work with .WIM files, so if you want to leave it as .WIM you can, or if you want to make the build a little smaller, you can convert it to a .ESD file. Generally using a WIM the ISO will be about 5.5gb in size. when using a ESD file the same ISO will be about 4.2gb, so it does save space and download time for users. Thats really the only advantage of using ESD over WIM. If you ever want to change anything in the future inside the ESD file, you MUST convert it back to WIM first.
6- There are NUMEROUS utilities out there to convert to .ESD If you want a smaller overall ISO, then use one of them. REMEMBER, you MUST use WIM files for ANY customizations though.
Only AFTER the customizations are finished can you convert to .ESD and have it work.

Creating the ISO

Install and open up WinReducer for Windows 10

16winred1.jpg

Press START

16winred2.jpg

Choose FOLDER and then navigate to folder where you extracted windows files to and click OK.

16winred3.jpg

After hitting OK, WinReducer will load the files it needs to work with.

16winred5.jpg

WinReducer will finish loading and then come up with options for just about everything.
Up to YOU to do the homework here on what you want installed and or customizations added.

NOTE: You dont need to do ANY customizations unless you want to change/add some things like custom boot and install screens.
You can hit FINISH (upper right corner) now and new ISO will be created just the same.

16winred6.jpg

When you are finished customizing with Winreducer, hit the FINISH button located upper right corner.
Hit the APPLY button in the middle of the screen and hit YES to continue.

All changes will be applied at this point.

Click the Save in an ISO file radio button and choose WHERE to save the file, NAME of the file, LABEL of the file, and choose BIOS or UEFI or both.
I always choose UEFI & BIOS for best results on different machines.

16winred7.jpg

Hit SAVE and then YES to continue. WinReducer will now create a BOOTABLE ISO of your new OS!

16winred8.jpg

When finished, THIS notice will be given.

16winred9.jpg

To test new build, Start Virtualbox and create a new entry (like earlier in this tutorial) and run thru the whole install process of your NEW OS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BE PREPARED FOR FAILURES!!!! Guaranteed you will have SOME builds fail and have to redo it a few times before it finally takes hold.
Ive had builds done in 1 hour, and Ive had builds take me 3 days. Just dont give up if you are serious about being a builder.

There are a LOT more things you can do once you get the hang of this. Experiment with different building tools. Some do more than
others, and the customization level is higher, but also requires a lot more knowledge as well. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Suvam4549

Downloaded
5.1 GB
Uploaded
6.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Wow! Looks like everything I ever needed is here!!!

Cumulonimbus

Weatherman
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
225.3 GB
Uploaded
1.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
7 (8)
Member for 10 years
AWESOME tutorial!! I may take a swing at this. Thanks @00Proteus00 :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Proteus

acta non verba
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (229)
Member for 5 years
Im going to lock this now, no need for comments on this. Just take this information and use it as it was intended to be used.

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Super Moderator
Uploader
Power User
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
49.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
240 (247)
Member for 7 years
@00Proteus00 nice share and congrats on the promotion!

alaadin

Power User
Downloaded
38.7 GB
Uploaded
5.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
110 (109)
Member for 5 years
Hi my friend, my comments of praising threads are rare, i love yours, your efforts and solidarity, i will very soon follow every step you mentioned above.. Iam intend to be a builder and get this blue badge aftet SA's approve as well.. Really amazing, u rock my friend..really thanks and appreciate behalf all members here, thank you again to the moon and back.. @00Proteus00 ..you are the one..

Navneet_Nair01

Banned
Downloaded
30.9 GB
Uploaded
15.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
Thanks A lot Will definitely take a swing at This.

pascalwil

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
36.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Thank you for the post

Ismel

Downloaded
363.5 MB
Uploaded
5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Awesome post thank you soo much

Nathonijan

Downloaded
2 GB
Uploaded
104.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
i have a question .
when we install OS in new computer then drivers for this computer installed and other deleted.
so , in audit mode all drivers are deleted ?
thanks in advance.

Proteus

acta non verba
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (229)
Member for 5 years
i have a question .
when we install OS in new computer then drivers for this computer installed and other deleted.
so , in audit mode all drivers are deleted ?
thanks in advance.

when installing, the hard drive is wiped and a fresh windows is installed with its built in driver support. Once in audit mode, all drivers have already been established and installed for current configuration. When the OS is built and saved and installed on a NEW machine, Windows will use its own built in driver support to setup devices for that machine. Most drivers will be automatically setup with no issues, with the exception of various audio, video, capture cards etc...

I recommend once windows is installed to a REAL system environment, to go to the manufacturers website and get the current drivers for all peripherals, or use the driver install program of choice to install the latest drivers.

Djamalou

Downloaded
108.2 GB
Uploaded
1.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Great, what a tutorial ! Thanks a lot

ScreaminWeasel

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
830.1 GB
Uploaded
9.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
Nice. going to set up seperate machine just to try this on. Thanks

Nathonijan

Downloaded
2 GB
Uploaded
104.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
thanks. . .
but if i have not internet that time then this problem comes.
will this work if i copy 'Driver files' from an ISO file in Driver folder in C:\ ?

Proteus

acta non verba
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (229)
Member for 5 years
thanks. . .
but if i have not internet that time then this problem comes.
will this work if i copy 'Driver files' from an ISO file in Driver folder in C:\ ?

Internet is irrelevant in a windows install as far as drivers are concerned. EXCEPT on post install where windows will search for:

1) Video Drivers
2) Windows Updates
3) Other devices that were not in it's database when windows installed

I dont know what it is you are trying to accomplish.

Eminescu33

Downloaded
29.7 GB
Uploaded
8.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
A very nice and useful tutorial !

leperdu

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
208.9 GB
Uploaded
14.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
Thank you for these informations and your precious help !

Xnitro67

Downloaded
32.1 GB
Uploaded
47.2 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
what about the pre activation cant seem to get that in. also i seem to have to run a script Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage to even get sysprep to even work.

Proteus

acta non verba
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
207 GB
Uploaded
35.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
217 (229)
Member for 5 years
what about the pre activation cant seem to get that in. also i seem to have to run a script Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage to even get sysprep to even work.

You have to use a FULL unmodified stock OS for everything to work correctly using this method. To open sysprep, just go to C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\ sysprep.exe (double click sysprep), or just reboot while in audit mode and the sysprep window auto loads when booted. Once build is finished, syspreped, and a WIM is created, you can use other tools to remove what you DONT want in windows.

As far as pre-activation..... just open ANY ISO you downloaded from here, go into the sources folder and look for $OEM$. Those are the preactivation files. I use one set for Pro, and another for LTSC. You can copy and save them somewhere, BUT it may kick a virus error due to activation properties of the files.

Xnitro67

Downloaded
32.1 GB
Uploaded
47.2 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 7 years
it was the debloater that started that issue so i cant debloat, keep settings and preactivate but ill give that a try ive been trying the digital activation as a pre activation but it doesnt stay