Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

ISDN to VoIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elzer

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
142.9 GB
Uploaded
3.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
33 (32)
Member for 7 years
Hello...Im currently using a Panasonic KX-TDA100 telephone exchange with 7 ISDN packages connected. The ISP offers me to choose "IP Centrex or Business Trunking" by the end of the year, due to the termination of the ISDN service. What should i do and what are my options?

Ranger

FB COMMANDER
👑 Administrator
Downloaded
1.1 TB
Uploaded
258.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
99 (102)
Member for 3 years
Given the termination of ISDN service and the offer from your ISP to choose between IP Centrex or Business Trunking, you'll need to evaluate both options based on your specific needs and the capabilities of your current Panasonic KX-TDA100 telephone exchange.

Here's an overview of each option:

1. IP Centrex: IP Centrex, also known as hosted PBX or hosted VoIP, is a cloud-based phone system where the provider hosts and manages your phone system off-site. Your phones connect to the provider's servers via the internet, and you access features and services through a web interface or app. With IP Centrex, you typically pay a monthly subscription fee per user.
    • Pros:
      • Scalability: Easily add or remove lines/extensions as needed.
      • Lower upfront costs: Typically, you don't need to invest in expensive on-premises equipment.
      • Maintenance and updates: The provider handles maintenance, updates, and troubleshooting.
    • Cons:
      • Relies on internet connection: Quality of service may depend on the stability and bandwidth of your internet connection.
      • Monthly costs: Ongoing subscription fees can add up over time.
  2. Business Trunking (SIP Trunking): Business Trunking, also known as SIP Trunking, enables you to connect your existing phone system (in this case, your Panasonic KX-TDA100) to the provider's network using SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) for voice communication over the internet.
    • Pros:
      • Utilizes existing equipment: You can continue using your current PBX system.
      • Flexibility: Can support a range of voice and multimedia services.
      • Cost savings: Generally offers lower call rates compared to traditional ISDN lines.
    • Cons:
      • Requires compatible equipment: Ensure your Panasonic KX-TDA100 supports SIP trunking or can be upgraded to do so.
      • Configuration and setup: May require some technical expertise to configure and integrate with your existing system.
In choosing between the two options, consider factors such as your budget, current infrastructure, anticipated growth, reliability requirements, and available technical expertise. If your Panasonic KX-TDA100 can be upgraded to support SIP trunking and meets your needs, this option may offer more control and potentially cost savings over IP Centrex. However, if you prefer a fully managed solution with minimal upfront investment, IP Centrex could be the better choice.

Consulting with your ISP, phone system vendor, or a telecommunications consultant can provide further guidance based on your specific requirements and circumstances. Additionally, ensure that whichever option you choose aligns with your long-term business goals and supports the features and functionality you require for efficient communication.

Elzer

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
142.9 GB
Uploaded
3.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
33 (32)
Member for 7 years
Thanks @Ranger
Is there an option to keep my ISDN switchboard, and i want to keep it because we are used to that equipment and there are no unnecessary investments in changing equipment. In most cases, VoIP telephone devices dont have menus like the system devices of classic telephones switchboard, but their use (especially with cheap VoIP systems) is similar to that of ordinary analog devices on classic telephones. Our equipment works reliably and meets our needs, buying another telephone exchange is a waste of money, because I don't have a sudden increase in the number of users of the exchange, we already have the same number of users. I want to add VoIP adapters to the current phone equipment that will allow me to use other ISPs in the phone system. I want to take advantage of the possibility of choosing a more favorable and cheaper operator (ISP), because the number of numbers and channels/lines for talking also affects the price of the subscription.
What worries me in particular is that analog lines and ISDN connections can work without mains power, VoIP cannot. Therefore, since i have an alarm and fire alarm system with notification via phone lines, I'm thinking of keeping the analog or ISDN connection (with NT+2a/b where the unpowered mode is switched to analog outputs).

Last edited:

Ranger

FB COMMANDER
👑 Administrator
Downloaded
1.1 TB
Uploaded
258.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
99 (102)
Member for 3 years
Given your specific requirements and concerns, it sounds like a hybrid approach would be the most suitable option for you. Here's a proposed solution:

1. Keep Your ISDN Switchboard: Since you prefer to keep your current ISDN switchboard due to familiarity, reliability, and cost considerations, you can continue using it as the core of your telephony system.
  2. Add VoIP Adapters: Integrate VoIP adapters into your existing setup to enable connectivity with VoIP service providers. VoIP adapters, also known as ATA (Analog Telephone Adapters), can bridge the gap between your ISDN switchboard and VoIP networks. These devices convert VoIP signals to analog signals that your switchboard can understand, allowing you to take advantage of VoIP services while keeping your current equipment.
  3. Maintain Analog or ISDN Connection for Alarm Systems: To ensure the reliability of your alarm and fire alarm systems, maintain analog or ISDN connections alongside VoIP. As you mentioned, analog and ISDN connections can work without mains power, which is crucial for critical systems like alarm notifications. You can use an NT+2a/b device to convert your ISDN connection to analog outputs for compatibility with your alarm systems.
  4. Choose Multiple ISPs for Flexibility: With VoIP adapters in place, you can select different ISPs for VoIP services based on pricing, features, and reliability. This allows you to take advantage of competitive pricing and ensures redundancy in case one ISP experiences downtime.
By implementing this hybrid solution, you can retain the benefits of your existing ISDN switchboard while leveraging the advantages of VoIP services and multiple ISP options. Additionally, maintaining analog or ISDN connections ensures the reliability of your alarm systems, addressing your specific concerns about power dependency. It's important to consult with telecommunications experts or providers who can assist you in integrating VoIP adapters and ensuring seamless compatibility with your existing setup.

Taurus

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
17.3 GB
Uploaded
401.3 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
What worries me in particular is that analog lines and ISDN connections can work without mains power, VoIP cannot. Therefore, since i have an alarm and fire alarm system with notification via phone lines, I'm thinking of keeping the analog or ISDN connection (with NT+2a/b where the unpowered mode is switched to analog outputs).
Get an inverter to power the exchange if the mains power goes off. It is more efficient compared to a UPS as it can provide power for a very long time. It runs off a lead acid (car) battery.

No battery replacement expenses, but the distilled water has to be topped up regularly. :p

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.5 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 6 years
First of all, what do you (or they) mean by "Business Trunking"? That makes no sense by itself.

Good News: (Re)Search for cloud PBX hosting. It will be the better solution for you.
Bad News: Your Panasonic will have issues with most newer services. You may need to buy add-on cards to be able to connect, but even then because it's an older system it only has simple/limited VOIP functionality.

If you choose IP Centrex, technically it can be done, but it will be a challenge and depends on if the provider supports your model and the needs you have. Eventually, you will probably end up using a SIP gateway and even then it will need a LOT of testing.

If you choose SIP... You will need an extra card (KX-TDA3450 I think) but you won't get any modern functions like call recording, advanced call routing, or integration with UC tools. On top, you may be limited when it comes to codecs and bandwidth management and you will probably end up using a SIP gateway.

As you see, regardless of the solution, you will probably need a SIP gateway to make the Panasonic work.

A SIP gateway acts as a translator between the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) used in VoIP communication and other signaling protocols, like those used in traditional phone networks (PSTN/ISDN) or other older VoIP systems

Honestly, it would be better to look for a modern PBX and subscribe to a cloud PBX provider.

There are a few workarounds that may or may not work for your particular system, but let's be honest, this is a task for someone who can A. Be there and have hands on the devices, B. Has experience and knows of those things, so better contact a local business that can consult and execute the upgrade, rather than asking on forums :)

Best of luck.

Elzer

Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
142.9 GB
Uploaded
3.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
33 (32)
Member for 7 years
I would finish those doubts and all the questions with the telecom companies, but they are the biggest problem because they deliberately complicated the part of the "Cenrex" code that refers to the method of logging into the system, which is why part of the VoIP switchboards and VoIP adapters cannot be connected, but must use the equipment of only a few manufacturers. We adapt to Centrex, they adapt very little to our equipment (because they offer their own equipment). However, it is probably a matter of time before the domestic ISP will finally offer its (free) solution to users who want to keep their ISDN equipment.
In any case, I will carefully evaluate this investment, making sure that there are no hidden costs (e.g. "forget" about VoIP devices or their power supply, so the bidder includes them in the price afterwards, they are not always cheap, and when they are cheap, they are usually not of good quality ). With open source systems, some things are lost (commands and reports on the screen) that we may have gotten used to working with system devices from certain manufacturers of classic systems. Some systems have a low level of security and are vulnerable to hacker attacks (most often Chinese products), which can cause major (and financial) problems. "Pure" VoIP systems REALLY don't have a lot of advantages for most uses by most users. Thanks everyone for the replies.
@Cyler ...you can close the thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.