Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Critical Error on Start Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikilaum

Downloaded
86.3 GB
Uploaded
56.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
Hey guys this is kind of a long shot but I've gotta ask.
I started doing my own tests and trying my own builds with some modifications, and as for now, I'm just trying to understand MSMG Toolkit.
I only used the toolkit basic configuration and options, and the result was a really good and lite build, but the thing is, I'm having an issue that is a Critical Error when I simply click on the Start Menu. Without installing anything, and immediately after the os installation.

Does anyone have any idea of what could it be? I didn't disabled or removed anything that could obviously for me be causing this...

mikilaum

Downloaded
86.3 GB
Uploaded
56.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
Please, correct me if this question is wrong doing, or if the post is on the wrong place.

Phrankie

⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
347.6 GB
Uploaded
620.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
101 (100)
Member for 2 years
@mikilaum Just careful what you remove and you must know what it is if you dont know it then just skip that part

mikilaum

Downloaded
86.3 GB
Uploaded
56.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
@mikilaum Just careful what you remove and you must know what it is if you dont know it then just skip that part
That's the thing, at every item that I didn't knew what it is, I did an extensive research until I was certain of what I was doing. File Explorer, ShellExperience, Win32, SearchApp... None of that is being removed.
And the funny thing is, the first OS worked beautifully, but all of the next ones has this issue.

testament

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
34.9 GB
Uploaded
24.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
To build your own OS it's a big pain especially when remove things that you don't know what they are.
It's a game about and need experiment like remove - test, remove - test and so on.

And have in mind that the behavior of your own build it's deferend between a VM and your phisical drive.

By my side i build my own OS about a month because i haven't any experience.

Jerry_Xristos

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
195.6 GB
Uploaded
67.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
367 (419)
Member for 9 years
From the moment we don't know what you have removed we can't help you

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
The problem with most services is that they are not stand-alone and depend on other services to work. Sometimes closing a dependency shuts down services and programs you never indented to. One example I always give is, removing the print spooler will make all PDF creation programs not function because those create a fake printer driver in order to create PDF and no print spooler, no PDF.

Jerry above is right and it's hard to give you specific advice without knowing or being able to use the PC. Just t get an idea of possible problems that can cause this:
* The start menu is actually a user process (since different users can have different start menus) and if you managed or changed user rights or any service that affects that (remove read permission for example) it will affect the start menu too.
* What shows on the start menu, is actually inside the registry. If you removed that part or the account doesn't have access... start menu breaks.
* If somehow you messed with the database in C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer
* If you stop the startmenuexperiencehost service
* Many more.
Of course, the above are simplified in order to save time but you get the idea.

It's better and/or faster to just retry and make a new build and do the changes slowly so you can observe, which change does what, and as advice, it's better to set services to disable rather than remove them, cause in case of an error you can recover faster by re-enabling. Once you are sure everything behaves fine, then you can proceed with the removal if you think it's worth it.

Hope it helped

Jerry_Xristos

🤴 Super Admin
Downloaded
195.6 GB
Uploaded
67.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
367 (419)
Member for 9 years
As Cyler said above it could be anything, what I am suggesting you is to leave on the side MSMG Toolkit and give a shot with DISM++.
You can remove "things" on a live system and see how it goes at the same time.
You can keep backups in any step you make in case something goes wrong.
You will get the idea when you use it.
You can do it in a VM to be sure for the results before testing what you've made in your primary system.

mikilaum

Downloaded
86.3 GB
Uploaded
56.8 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
From the moment we don't know what you have removed we can't help you
Yeah, I guess i should have explained better, maybe showing what I was removing from the build. And I will try DISM++, doing on a live system could be better to learn.

* What shows on the start menu, is actually inside the registry.
And this gave me a new point of view about the problem, I will try again paying attention to this.

Thank you very much guys! I will keep trying...

pleiadians

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
188.8 GB
Uploaded
713.5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
If you like your build you could try something like startisback and see if that works. There's give and take in the whole sliming down windows thing.

Phrankie

⚡OS Master
Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
347.6 GB
Uploaded
620.6 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
101 (100)
Member for 2 years
@mikilaum next time provide screenshots of what you remove and what error message you encountered for us to determine the problem and help you the possible fix on it

Wichestery2k

👑 Administrator
Uploader
Downloaded
1.4 TB
Uploaded
93.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
266 (274)
Member for 7 years
no action in over a month thread completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.