Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Can't start windows update service wuauserv

Status
Not open for further replies.

pascalwil

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
36.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Hi

First of all I know I should make this request in the original post but I can't find it.
If someone has the link if still on this site, you're welcome to let me know. Thanks.

I've installed Windows 10 _Pro & Enterprise 20H2 19042.1415_x64_Jan 2022_Pre-Activated Team OS and I've lost the ability to run windows update service.
Therefore I cannot update with newer builds.

I've googled this issue with no luck.

Someone knows how to get back the service running. Through registry or Local Group Policy? Or else?

If someone has a link to a newer version of 20H2 Ent x64 past 19042.1415 please provide me with it. I might be able to solve the problem by updating current version of 20H2.

Thanks for reading and your help.

Cheers

THADEADMAN

Downloaded
46 GB
Uploaded
351.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
i am tired and my brain is fried but i jus did a quick search in google and found this
it's an old posting but still it's winBlows 10
There are many causes to consider when working with Windows Updates, and we need to pinpoint which is causing the problem.

It's possible that a certain app might be causing problem with installing Windows Updates. Please start the PC in a clean boot state to check if there are other background apps which might be causing the issue:

1. Right-click the Windows button > Select Run
2. Type in "msconfig" without the quotes, then click OK.
3. On the General tab, select Selective Startup. Then untick "Load startup items".
4. On the Services tab, click "Hide all Microsoft services".
5. Click "Disable all".
6. On the Startup tab, click "Open Task Manager". A Task Manager window should open.
7. Disable all startup items. You can also choose which startup items to disable, as certain apps and devices might not work properly if the startup item related to it is disabled.
8. Go back to your System Configuration window.
9. Click Apply > OK
10. Click "Restart" when prompted.

Once the PC goes back up, please try to install updates again.

If that doesn't work, you can try renaming the software distribution folders:
1. In the search box on your taskbar, search for cmd
2. Select Command Prompt (with the option Run as Administrator) from the results.
3. At the Command Prompt, type the following commands one at a time. After each, select Enter. Let the command complete before typing the next command.

net stop bits

net stop wuauserv

ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.bak

ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak

net start bits

net start wuauserv

4. Once done, close the Command Prompt window and restart your computer, then try installing the updates.

You can refer to the link below for other steps you can try:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-updating-windows-188c2b0f-10a7-d72f-65b8-32d177eb136c

Last edited by a moderator:

testament

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
34.9 GB
Uploaded
24.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 2 years
Have you try with an in place upgrade? Your OS is too old (20H2) and the lifecycle has expired. Also have in mind that windows updates can breaks your OS so easy and have to do with what changes have you make.
Download a new original iso from microsoft or choose an iso from here that suit your needs, keep your files and software and give it a try. Personally i use Windows 10 LTSC because it have long time support.
There are several videos in youtube that explain the operation of an in-place upgrade. It's like a soft format.

Last edited:

pascalwil

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
36.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Thanks for your reply.

@testament I plan to update if I don't solve the issue.

@THADEADMAN I'm facing a new issue with catroot2. Although I'm Admin, I have full control over the folder and I've taken ownership I get a message that access is denied
OK with softwaredistribution

Any idea which prog or service is using catroot2 after stopping bits and wuauserv

Starting bits is OK but for wuauserv I get this message "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it".

hamabe

: It's that time again : 。゚・ (>﹏<) ・゚。
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
435.9 GB
Uploaded
37.6 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
The guide skipped "net stop cryptsvc" command
I second doing In-place upgrade as well if none of the steps below fixes it.

You can try the WUreset tool as starter
https://wureset.com/

Download the Reset update.bat here
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

Try the manual guide below for resetting Windows update folder
https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/reset_windows_update_10_11.html

You can check these torrents for 20H2 whichever matches your installation.

Last edited:

THADEADMAN

Downloaded
46 GB
Uploaded
351.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
Just saw hamabe's post after i finished typing try what they say first

after looking closer at the version of windows u running testament is right one of dell laptops has H0H2 19042.331
and cannot be updated it always kicks an error trying to get updates but i need that laptop running that version of windows
for testing, i tried everything but still error but i have an identical laptop except it has a nvidia gpu a and a higher res lcd
and it updates np and i started both laptops with exact same os at same time
so i am kinda not sure so i jus leave the older OS alone from updates for my tests
as for the catroot2 idunno but i saw this in a search might help jus read carefully similiar to last message but more
--------------------------
What happens now is that the Windows updates components are having issues. The best way to fix this is to reset this.

To do this, follow these instructions:
Step 1: Open Command Prompt as Administrator.

Step 2: Stop BITS, WUAUSERV, APPIDSVC AND CRYPTSVC Services. Execute the following command one by one. Copy and paste each line to command prompt and press Enter.

net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc

Step 3: Delete the qmgr*.dat file. Paste the following command to command prompt and press Enter.

Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"

Step 4: Rename SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 folder. Type the following command one by one and press Enter.

Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak

Step 5: Reset the BITS service and Windows Update Service. Paste following command one by one and press Enter.

Once done, type this again:

net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc

Once done, restart the machine and try again to run the windows update. This will take time to install the update.
-----------------
dunno if it will help but thats all i can find atm i gonna try goin for some sleep i been running on fumes for almost 3 days

Last edited:

pleiadians

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
188.8 GB
Uploaded
713.5 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 6 years
Try "Windows update reset tool portable", free download, wureset dot com.
Goes through all reasonable options for update repair.

pascalwil

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
36.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Back with you.
Sorry for the late reply but it's taken me some time to go through all your advice.

I'm going nowhere with the reset of Windows Update.
There must be something weird with my installation. Nothing works.

I'm going for an upgrade.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate.

Cheers

pascalwil

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
1.3 TB
Uploaded
36.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Hello,

Went for an upgrade.
With Windows 10 _Pro & Enterprise -20H2 19042.1949_x64_Sep_2022_Pre-Activated from TeamOS

Windows Update Service OK so far Quite happy with this build.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Cheers

Dark Wolf

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Uploader
Windows Modifier
Downloaded
883.4 GB
Uploaded
43.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
47 (47)
Member for 1 years
Hello,

Went for an upgrade.
With Windows 10 _Pro & Enterprise -20H2 19042.1949_x64_Sep_2022_Pre-Activated from TeamOS

Windows Update Service OK so far Quite happy with this build.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Cheers

Ok, since you resolved the issue with an upgrade, this thread is now complete. (Stoggie)

Status
Not open for further replies.