Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Application to put files into SharePoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo23

Downloaded
168.9 GB
Uploaded
785.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Hi all

I was wondering is there an app that makes it easy to transfer files from our old file server to SharePoint?

Cyler

šŸ¤“ Super Admin
āš”OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Have you tried SPMT (SharePoint Migration tool)? It can be found under SharePoint Admin Center--->Migration--->Desktop tool (SPMT). You didn't give more information about the type of file server you use, is it local or on the cloud, etc, so... this is the only thing I can think of. Keep in mind that SharePoint is not a file server, it's a collaboration portal but up to you if you want to use it as such.

It's not the first time you ask for help so you should know by now that, more details = better answers.

Neo23

Downloaded
168.9 GB
Uploaded
785.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Its on the Cloud. We have an outside IT provider. I am IT admin, but I would absolutely love to learn how its done. I want to be part of it.

However my boss, Financial Director said they have way more experience so let them do it. Its really annoying because its a chance to learn.

The IT provider told me to run Wiztree today and I saved it as a CVS file. Is he going to import the files using Sharepoint or the tool you mentioned????

Do you have any suggestions?? Cyler I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Yes I have asked for help before. I guess my dream would be Head of IT one day. Cancer took 10 years and addiction took 5 years. Now I am 40 and want to improve myself.

Please Do not double post in a row edit your last reply

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyler

šŸ¤“ Super Admin
āš”OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
24.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Yes I have asked for help before. I guess my dream would be Head of IT one day. Cancer took 10 years and addiction took 5 years. Now I am 40 and want to improve myself.

I feel maybe I didnt say it right. It's a sign of a good Sys Admin to ask, especially when in doubt so feel free to ask anytime and about anything. After all, as they say, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. My comment was more about the lack of information and details. Think for example if I was to say to you, "I have a problem with my PC, help". What did I actually say? nothing. My question will only make you ask me more questions like what kind of PC, what kind of problem, and so on. It's a skill you must develop in order to first help yourself and second help your place of work. Ask in details and assume the other doesn't have a clue. Just because we know something or experience a situation, doesn't mean everyone else does. Regardless, don't ever feel bad for asking (if you did) and I'm sure with your attitude and thirst for knowledge, one day you will become the head of IT (tho careful what you ask for, cause it might come true :p )

Now to your question. I can't give a definite answer as the firm you guys hired, only knows. There are several ways to do a migration, from custom-made scripts via Powershell, to programs that deal with such issues like SPMT or Kernel Migrator (google as always), etc. As I said above tho, no harm in asking. You can tell them that you seek to improve your admin skills and you are wondering if they can share info on how they will do it. I'm positive they will explain or give you pointers.

As for your personal knowledge, hypervisors will come to your rescue. You can get a test server or workstation (I'm sure you will have a spare one somewhere) set 2 VMs, one with a virtualized SharePoint server, and one VM with a file server similar to what you guys use, upload some files (programs from here are a good option) to the file server and experiment by reading the manual or guides of SPMT by MS/Others. Pay attention to details, notice the limitations (for example no file larger than 15 GB) and play without risk.

Here is a small link to get you started
https://sharepointmaven.com/how-to-migrate-file-shares-to-sharepoint-online-using-microsoft-sharepoint-migration-tool/

Hope it helped you, fellow Admin, and since this thread now exceeds the purpose of the help and request section, I will close the thread but feel free to contact me anytime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.