Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Locked Any easy tools to Setup a domain and Manage hundreds of users? (alternative for ActiveDirectory)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

casperyc

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
165.2 GB
Uploaded
378.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Hi,

I used to manage a small number of machines and is now looking to addon the Active Directory function.
From what I have already learnt from the internet, what I need is one machine to serve as a server,
and then setup domain user account?

Am I understang this correctly? Or is there any other tools to help make this process easier?

Thanks.

Cyler

🤴 Super Admin
⚡OS Master
Downloaded
510.5 GB
Uploaded
25.2 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
1 (1)
Member for 7 years
Every choice and option has to do with the level of management and control you (as the IT) and your company wants to have. If your goal is just to share the internet and maybe a few printers/files, there is no real need for AD. If on the other hand you want to have user credentials (who logs in and when/where), application restrictions (who is using what), shared pools of disk and quota per user and applications, Distributed applications, Server Pools, Virtual Storage/ Radius Internet access, etc, then Active directory or alternatives are a one-way street.

There are alternatives mainly Samba, Jumpcloud, etc (google is your friend) but I will be honest... Active directory just works unless you have the time to invest (and a lot depends on the kind of services/apps you need for your network). Alternatively, you can move everyone to the cloud if the needs are office apps/ file-sharing / collaboration/communication only.

In any case, yes you understood right, there must be a server just for the AD management (depends on No of users and No of services if the server is dedicated or not) called domain controller but the whole thing needs very careful planning cause once you have set the server/client environment, any downtime on the server for updates/changes/mistakes will be downtime for the company. You need to have a backup (both software/hardware) and know a bit about how to secure it otherwise... Keep in mind there might be changes/additions you may also have to do on the other PCs in order to join the domain.

As you see tho, your question may be simple but the answer isn't, and as we will dig further in, it will become very difficult or time-consuming to explain the whats and hows, and everything we will talk about, will probably generate more questions than it answeres. The process needs good design and people who know how to administer and secure a network both in theory and practice, and it's not something simple, especially for someone with zero experience. Dont get me wrong, it's not as hard as I may make it sound, with some dedication and time, I'm sure you can make it work... but it needs a lot of experimentation and tests something which you only know if there are time/resources to do it.

You can find some good guides on the net both in book or video forms or even you may want to talk to a consultant to explore options but either way, plan ahead very well before you start.

casperyc

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
165.2 GB
Uploaded
378.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Every choice and option has to do with the level of management and control you (as the IT) and your company wants to have. If your goal is just to share the internet and maybe a few printers/files, there is no real need for AD. If on the other hand you want to have user credentials (who logs in and when/where), application restrictions (who is using what), shared pools of disk and quota per user and applications, Distributed applications, Server Pools, Virtual Storage/ Radius Internet access, etc, then Active directory or alternatives are a one-way street.

There are alternatives mainly Samba, Jumpcloud, etc (google is your friend) but I will be honest... Active directory just works unless you have the time to invest (and a lot depends on the kind of services/apps you need for your network). Alternatively, you can move everyone to the cloud if the needs are office apps/ file-sharing / collaboration/communication only.

In any case, yes you understood right, there must be a server just for the AD management (depends on No of users and No of services if the server is dedicated or not) called domain controller but the whole thing needs very careful planning cause once you have set the server/client environment, any downtime on the server for updates/changes/mistakes will be downtime for the company. You need to have a backup (both software/hardware) and know a bit about how to secure it otherwise... Keep in mind there might be changes/additions you may also have to do on the other PCs in order to join the domain.

As you see tho, your question may be simple but the answer isn't, and as we will dig further in, it will become very difficult or time-consuming to explain the whats and hows, and everything we will talk about, will probably generate more questions than it answeres. The process needs good design and people who know how to administer and secure a network both in theory and practice, and it's not something simple, especially for someone with zero experience. Dont get me wrong, it's not as hard as I may make it sound, with some dedication and time, I'm sure you can make it work... but it needs a lot of experimentation and tests something which you only know if there are time/resources to do it.

You can find some good guides on the net both in book or video forms or even you may want to talk to a consultant to explore options but either way, plan ahead very well before you start.
Thanks. Yes that pretty much what I got so far...and I will go ahead with the AD then.

First thing is setting it up, I was hoping to do it on a "compact" win10 from GhostSpecture, but then after a bit play around, it doesn't look like a good idea. So I moved it to an original MSDN version.
Next step is to look at how to setup batch user accouts, and I have found some posts already, which I will experient.

I remeber seeing a small tool (like 300-500KB) for managning lists of domain users some years ago.,,,, but couldnt find it any more. Maybe I just need to do it the normal way using AD.

Thanks again.

Neo23

Downloaded
168.9 GB
Uploaded
785.7 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Go with AD first dude. See how it goes. When you have a chance ask around. Spiceworks etc. Best of luck and let us know how u r getting on.

Currently moving our files to SharePoint. Nightmare........!. Best of luck

Light_Eater

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
768.3 GB
Uploaded
111 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 5 years
Thought one may be of use for you, newest first
Code:
https://b-ok.cc/s/Active%20Directory?order=year

casperyc

✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
165.2 GB
Uploaded
378.1 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 8 years
Thought one may be of use for you, newest first
Code:
https://b-ok.cc/s/Active%20Directory?order=year
Thanks.

I might go for a book to read a bit more into this.
Internet has too many unstructure things and I have to use VPN for Google serach (from China) lol....

Vidoes are a bit slow too at the moment...

Status
Not open for further replies.