Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

Tutorials A beginner's guide for safe internet usage

GoldenEagle54

Downloaded
13.9 GB
Uploaded
16.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
PKdho3.jpg

Apologies for the mess. This is my first post.
For the past few days there are a lot of complaints and requests regarding ransomwares in team os. Sometimes you do get the solution and sometimes you don't in which case you will be losing aa hell lot of files. I'm merely a registered member but I can give you certain basic tips on avoiding them, though not sure how many would read this thread. This thread might also give you an idea on what file or link would've caused the attack. Here are the few things you might need to consider while browsing and downloading files -

1. Stop clicking anything and everything on the internet - especially for beginners who venture outside the basic internet usage of social media, online video or music streaming, team os, etc.
- First of all, block notifications, block popup requests, deny access requests or download requests. If you really want them you can later allow them though it's highly inadvisable.
- Most of these file hosting sites will have certain banners like "download" and "play" or "free download" and "premium download" in same color or changing colors or sometimes different colors but in same banner (usually enclosed in dotted lines). Observe such patterns and avoid them. They are the click baits and hence stop clicking them.

PKTsTJ.jpg

- The real download link will usually be the smallest button, or a link or hyperlink, as such and they will always be the most unique of buttons or links.
It might be anything like "click here to continue", "download", "click here" etc. If you find none unique then it will be the free download button among free and premium download buttons.

PKTSZ8.png

- Some of these sites require you to fill in captcha or wait for a timer. Solve captchas if you only see reCaptcha on them. Some timers are fake, usually gifs with faster seconds. Usually the real one will be the slowest and usually pause when you change the tabs.
- In torrent sites, it would be better to go for magnet links. Team os provides torrents directly but that cannot be said for many other sites.

2. Block ads -
- Certain sites like team os, they produce ads in the form of banners. That's completely fine, justifiable and supportive. They have to earn revenue to maintain their servers for terabytes of ULs/DLs.
- Then there are sites like YouTube. 30 seconds of ads before watching the actual video. That's unruly of them.
- Then there are other sites. Like file-upload, mediafire, 4shared, etc. They put up ads such that clicking the link and site the first time itself opens up a popup. And then there are a hell lot of link blocking banners so that you need to click them to unlock the link. Ads to the point that the sites are nearly unusable.

Download any ad blocker. Personal suggestion - uBlock Origin from Chrome webstore or Firefox store depending on the browser you're using. Solves half of the problems with banners, video ads, click-baits and all. And you can also allow individual sites. And as such please allow deserving sites like Team OS.

PKTJ1A.png

3. Get an Antivirus - Preferably ESET, Webroot, Kaspersky and such. Preferably Endpoint security which involves network protection.
Such Antivirus systems come in handy in blocking off unwanted files. I personaly use ESET.
From here - (Thanks mate @Mirkec , saved me both bucks and migraines :p).
Blocks off unpopular sites. Keep scanning regularly. Once in a month is enough.

4. Last but not least - Some sites demand notification access or download access to download files - Allow only for trusted sites like Mega, etc. Never for sites like adfly.

Tip - Do not install skinpacks. For one they get corrupted after windows updates in Windows 10. Another thing is they are mostly malware. Though you can trust on the team os ones.

Note-
1. @TheMacGyver , Admins, if you think this thread is irrelevant or there's another such thread, please do take it down. I did not find other threads regarding precautions this.
2. Please post images of some of the examples for above mentioned stuff in the comments. Use to do so. You don't need sign in or stuff like that. Just upload and share link.
3. These were the things I know. If you know any more of them, please leave them in the comments.

Thank You. Have a safe surfing! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mirkec

Uploader
Power User
Windows Modifier
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
57.6 GB
Uploaded
16 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
83 (96)
Member for 6 years
Nothing new regarding the ransomware situation. We had a lot of similar help request before. Jut type ransomware in the search bar and read.
Users need to start to use the brain and think before visiting suspicious websites. The brain.exe is the best antimalware protection solution that does not consume CPU and RAM at all.
That should be the first one in the thread.

Thread edited

Last edited:

GoldenEagle54

Downloaded
13.9 GB
Uploaded
16.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
Nothing new regarding the ransomware situation. We had a lot of similar help request before. Jut type ransomware in the search bar and read.
Users need to start to use the brain and think before visiting suspicious websites. The brain.exe is the best antimalware protection solution that does not consume CPU and RAM at all.
That should be the first one in the thread.

Thread edited
Yup. The brain.exe is the best anti-malware defense users have. But for some reason, it's working in a limited mode and users are not able to activate it. Thought this might Medicines or medicine so that they can access "endpoint security". :p

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
118.2 GB
Uploaded
41.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
:hi: There is no way this post could be irrelevant ,
sometimes we need to be told over and over again
to be safe and use precautions, while surfing the net.
Don't get click happy and just use common sense.
I can get a little lazy with that too, but I'm not very trusting,
things that seem too good to be true usually are.
I can get a little paranoid but I think a little paranoia is healthy
and keeps your pc safe.

In other words, if I didn't go looking for it, ask for it, they must be nuts
if they think some big pretty button blinking download and offering all
kind of amazing free things, makes me realize, oh, I really must have that
and click that pretty button, yeah, huh, no. I'll just block your web page.

We'll probably end up with a computer full of adware and oh no
look, it's developed a virus and suspiciously new software on your desktop
and popups saying to get rid of the virus, install this software to find out how
bad the infection is, yeah, It'll tell you what it is infected with but if you want
to get rid of it, you have to pay a certain amount for the full version.

I hate to say it, but I learned from am in laws mistake, he had to format and
reinstall windows, loosing alot of important documents.
Anyway, because of TheMacGyver recommendation, I use Ublock Origin.
Thanks for the security download @Mirkec and thank you,
GoldenEagle54, for this post. :rock::)

SiteWizard

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
232.5 GB
Uploaded
31.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
12 (12)
Member for 9 years
Hmmm Did we Not have allready something like this here posted ???
i do think we have allready a thread like this .... in the tutorial section :)

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
118.2 GB
Uploaded
41.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
Hmmm Did we Not have allready something like this here posted ???
i do think we have allready a thread like this .... in the tutorial section :)
Aww, SiteWizard, we sometimes have to be told over and over
again about internet safety, especially with people who have the attention
span of a two year old, you know, like me. ;):)

SiteWizard

Uploader
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
232.5 GB
Uploaded
31.1 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
12 (12)
Member for 9 years
@reddove lol , yeah but still i have found 4 threads in the past (lol) that handle internet security :)

these 4 :)

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
118.2 GB
Uploaded
41.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
@reddove lol , yeah but still i hhave found 4 threads in the past (lol) that handle internet security :)

these 4 :)

:blush: You're absolutely right, there really is a thing called over kill, wow,
yeah, I definitely see what you mean, I guess they're taking up spaces where
something just as important could be published. I'm sorry about that, SiteWizard,
I feel bad for you all, who is trying to run a smooth, organize, yet friendly and helpful site
and the poster, who is trying to share something he feels strongly about.
You know what, SiteWizard, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Thank you for taking the time to show and explain to me what you meant.:rock::)

GoldenEagle54

Downloaded
13.9 GB
Uploaded
16.9 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 4 years
@reddove , Thanks bro. Lots of Love. :h::h::inlove::inlove:

@SiteWizard and @reddove , thanks for the support, both of you. Both of you are absolutely right in your own perspectives.:h:

For one, not many people are online responsible and don't really care about internet security, end up being losers, I used to be one among them few months ago. What pains me is they blame it on the os devs here or the softwares from this site. :(

On the other hand, mess would be unbelievable, which is why repetition of such threads are unnecessary. I know other such sites s well but compared to other such sites I feel team os is very well organised even after having such an enormous library. One of the reasons which attract people here. :h:

Another thing is all those links are of books. They're helpful but I'm not entirely sure many read it because of negligence. :(

RedDove

⭐ VIP
Power User
✅ Verified Member
Downloaded
118.2 GB
Uploaded
41.8 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Member for 9 years
@reddove , Thanks bro. Lots of Love. :h::h::inlove::inlove:

@SiteWizard and @reddove , thanks for the support, both of you. Both of you are absolutely right in your own perspectives.:h:

For one, not many people are online responsible and don't really care about internet security, end up being losers, I used to be one among them few months ago. What pains me is they blame it on the os devs here or the softwares from this site. :(

On the other hand, mess would be unbelievable, which is why repetition of such threads are unnecessary. I know other such sites s well but compared to other such sites I feel team os is very well organised even after having such an enormous library. One of the reasons which attract people here. :h:

Another thing is all those links are of books. They're helpful but I'm not entirely sure many read it because of negligence. :(
Thanks GoldenEagle54, right back at you.:inlove:
Oh, and I'm actually a sister.:blush:;):)