Team OS : Your Only Destination To Custom OS !!

Welcome to TeamOS Community, Register or Login to the Community to Download Torrents, Get Access to Shoutbox, Post Replies, Use Search Engine and many more features. Register Today!

39th Anniversary of the first IBM PC.

Cyler

Super Moderator
Downloaded
90.5 GB
Uploaded
10.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)

39 Years Aniversary

We all do things with our computers that several years ago would be unimaginative to even think, let alone do.
Edit video in real-time and even faster, edit photos and create our own realities, write/compose music without the need of orchestra/band or instruments, explore the world, and view almost any location and city in every country in the world. We can create our own realistic worlds in 3d and play games with such details that captivated us. We can talk and share with people on different continents and in different times.

All the above and hundreds more we owe it to IBM that 39 years ago today, released the very first IBM PC.
A computer that no one knew back then how it will drive the change of humanity and technology over the next 40 years.

The specs are at least laughable by today's standards but back then was a real technological achievement.
For US$1,565 (equivalent to $4,600 today) you could buy 16KB RAM, Color Graphics Adapter with 4 colors max on screen, and no floppy disk drives,
CPU was an intel 8086 or 8088 running at 4.77 MHz at 16/16bit or 8/16 bit.
The first hard disks were 5MB - 10 MB and 20MB with 40MB and 80MB becoming a reality much later.
Graphic cards were 4 color max and resolution of 320X200 for games and 640x480 for text.
Floppy drives were 180k per side and 360k dual size.
Modems to connect to the BBS (no such thing as the internet) used the incredible speed of 300 Bytes per second (called baud rate)
IBM Dos at the beginning didn't even have support for directories (we now call them folders).

Yet, for its time, it was a success of unimaginable size.
So much so that every other company tried to copy IBM's open architecture including the now giants like DELL, ACER, and HP.
I wonder who remembers Compaq, Tandy, and Wang Laboratories amongst others.
Most of the companies we know and love to hate, exist because of the IBM PC mainly Microsoft.

Just wanted to remind us old-PC-timers of where we started and show (and maybe inspire to research) to the newer users of PC.

Last edited:

The Professor

🤶 Always Love 💞 on 🐼Nicky's & Mirkec🦹 Build 🎃
Uploader
Verified Member
Downloaded
31 GB
Uploaded
7.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
24 (24)
I have seen this computer only on the museum.

In Not more then 10 years everything will be Un Imaginable

vdogeek

Super Moderator
Downloaded
58.1 GB
Uploaded
26.3 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Good old floppy discs :giggle: .... It's no wonder we progress forward :p... nice blast from the past,,, Thanks @Cyler

Cyler

Super Moderator
Downloaded
90.5 GB
Uploaded
10.7 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Good old floppy discs :giggle: .... It's no wonder we progress forward :p... nice blast from the past,,, Thanks @Cyler
I still remember one of my first dilemmas as a user of a PC compatible 8088 with 2x 360kb floppies.
Should I buy a 20 MB hard disk or a 1.44 floppy drive and 15 floppy disks?

Good times...

Charles

Downloaded
792.8 GB
Uploaded
85.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Ahh... old memories. The salesperson at Radio Shack, this is a 10 meg hard drive. It's the magnetic gulf. You'll never need any more storage than this!

Yash Dedhia

Uploader
Verified Member
Downloaded
86.3 GB
Uploaded
462.4 GB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
0 (0)
Thanks cyler for bringing this up although am not so much aware of this.. but yes we have moved much forward & thanks to IBM for bringing this.. All hands down to the King no matter how much we move forward one should always remember the footsteps from where it all started.. btw great post from past

Dark Wolf

Windows Updater
Administrator
Downloaded
742 GB
Uploaded
13.4 TB
Ratio
Seedbonus
Upload Count
84 (84)
My how times change. My first PC was an IBM tower PC back in the 80's. I had a lot of fun with it. I also learned coding and hacking (both hardware and software) with it.
It's always nice to see a blast from the past.... :emo: